*possible PSU problem* GPU - no signal to monitor after launching game BUT Furmark stress test runs fine.

Ted Striker

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I ran a Furmark stress test just now for 40 minutes and everything is fine, but when I try to play a game the GPU seems to crap out and I lose signal to the monitor requiring a hard reset.

I have a GTX 570 (which I want to upgrade soon, more on that later) and a Corsair HX 750 PSU (or HW 750 I forget).

I ran the stress test in 1920x1080 with AA on. That's the resolution my desktop and games use and is my monitor's native resolution.

It's not an overheating issue. During the test It held at a steady 77C-78C the entire test, with fan speed not rising much.

I tried turning the GPU fan up to max speed, and when I launch a game as soon as it reaches a 3D scene the fan immediately throttles back to about 40% or whatever is minimum and I lose signal (examples: Skyrim loses signal as soon as it loads a saved game, Mount and Blade Warband loses signal as soon as a 3D scene is loaded like a battle, but the overland map works fine). The fan still spins, so it's not like the whole card loses power or anything.

Everything else continues to work when the signal is lost - I can hear sounds, nothing else crashes etc. It's just the signal.

I use the DVI-D port.

I want to upgrade to a GTX 970 and my PSU can handle it fine, but I don't know what the issue is right now so I don't know if I even can upgrade. Is it a PSU problem? Wouldn't Furmark cause it to crash after 40 minutes? Is it a GPU problem? Wouldn't Furmark cause it to crash from that as well? I don't even know how to test if it's a problem with the PSU. I'm sort of using Furmark to test both GPU and PSU, figuring if either of them had a problem the stress test would show it.

Is it a strange issue with the resolution? I've never had an issue before but could it be losing signal when trying to load a 1920x1080 resolution? That's what my desktop is set at so it shouldn't.

What in the world could the issue be? Do you think I can just replace the 570 with a 970 and the issue will be resolved?

Should I maybe try to Furmark stress the GPU with a higher resolution and/or AA? It handles my native desktop and gaming resolution just fine so no idea if that would show what the problem is.

Ted Striker

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
So I underclocked my card considerably and games work now. That sounds like a PSU problem then right?

I was thinking about replacing mine with http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Supply-220-G2-0650-Y1/dp/B0106RDIN2. It's 100 less watts but I don't think it will matter with a new GTX 970, and hopefully not my current 570 either.

Is it maybe not a PSU problem?

Ted Striker

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Does nobody know? Does this sound like a problem easily fixed with a new PSU? If I can wait until the summer to upgrade my GPU I will. I want to upgrade both but this summer might see a GPU price drop.

Ted Striker

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Wish I could test it like that but it's me myself and I with a PC.

I just ordered an EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+

I can run games just fine if I underclock my 570 with EVGA Precision. I have to turn ingame settings down for FPS but it's OK for now.

BIOS says my +12v rail is fine. I don't think it's the PSU, I think the GPU is failing. A PSU problem would more likely cause other issues including computer resets. It's a Corsair HX 750, it's a decent PSU. I've been trying to make a GTX 570 run Skyrim in 1920x1080 with high settings, and it's an old 570, over four years old now and been heavily used.

I also figure if it's not the GPU that's failing I can order a new PSU and I'll game for a few more days with low settings. It's not the end of the world.

I guess the game is starting up on a supported resolution or the game supports the monitors resolution used as well ?? that can cause this [ one time I had to reinstall a game due to this to get things back to default resolutions and settings in order to get it to display ...