[SOLVED] Possible PSU Problem, used Speedfan to check voltages, unsure how to read.

Jul 4, 2020
PC History:
All components about 10 years old except the GPU and Mobo (popped 5 years ago, sat for 3 years, and replaced 2 years ago).
-AMD Phenom II x4 955
-ATI Radeon 7870
-4 x 2gb ram DDR3
-3 x HDD sata
-1 x HDD IDE/molex
-2 x SSD
-Windows 10 pro
-Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Problem:
I recently installed another SSD and it worked fine. I decided to play some games after 5 years like CSGO/starcraft II when the system shut down. After two attempts to play, no POST, blank display, led is lit, fans running. I basically turned off my PSU, held down the power button to run it down. When restarted, same blank screen. Then I removed the SSD I just installed, OS started. Plugged new SSD back in, nothing. Did some unplug/replug testing of HDD and SSD combos (they all work just not all at once). Sometimes OS would start, sometimes not. I removed everything but 1 SSD/1HDD and it "works" semi-consistently? I'm thinking it's the PSU.

My PSU is 10 years old and I downloaded Speedfan to look at voltages but I'm unsure how to read it correctly.
adYp3nh.png

The 3.3v is way under at 2.5v and the 5v is at 4.62v. They should be at the nominal levels by plus/minus 5%, correct?

I should replace this PSU immediately? If so, should I buy another 650w or with my specs can I go down to 550w?

Thanks!

Solution
Correct, but speedfan isn't always correct. It could be looking at the wrong sensor. For example, Vsb in the second column is 3.29V, which would be correct. Not much uses the 3.3V rail so it being super low wouldn't cause problems? The 5V rail being that low would be an issue.

Does your bios say what the rails are? Can you measure with a volt meter? (if you aren't sure how to do that, then please don't.) Might want to try another program as well to see if it reports the same thing.

4745454b

Titan
Correct, but speedfan isn't always correct. It could be looking at the wrong sensor. For example, Vsb in the second column is 3.29V, which would be correct. Not much uses the 3.3V rail so it being super low wouldn't cause problems? The 5V rail being that low would be an issue.

Does your bios say what the rails are? Can you measure with a volt meter? (if you aren't sure how to do that, then please don't.) Might want to try another program as well to see if it reports the same thing.

Solution
PC History:
All components about 10 years old except the GPU and Mobo (popped 5 years ago, sat for 3 years, and replaced 2 years ago).
-AMD Phenom II x4 955
-ATI Radeon 7870
-4 x 2gb ram DDR3
-3 x HDD sata
-1 x HDD IDE/molex
-2 x SSD
-Windows 10 pro
-Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Problem:
I recently installed another SSD and it worked fine. I decided to play some games after 5 years like CSGO/starcraft II when the system shut down. After two attempts to play, no POST, blank display, led is lit, fans running. I basically turned off my PSU, held down the power button to run it down. When restarted, same blank screen. Then I removed the SSD I just installed, OS started. Plugged new SSD back in, nothing. Did some unplug/replug testing of HDD and SSD combos (they all work just not all at once). Sometimes OS would start, sometimes not. I removed everything but 1 SSD/1HDD and it "works" semi-consistently? I'm thinking it's the PSU.

My PSU is 10 years old and I downloaded Speedfan to look at voltages but I'm unsure how to read it correctly.
adYp3nh.png

The 3.3v is way under at 2.5v and the 5v is at 4.62v. They should be at the nominal levels by plus/minus 5%, correct?

I should replace this PSU immediately? If so, should I buy another 650w or with my specs can I go down to 550w?

Thanks!

Speedfan is no way to read voltages. It's getting those numbers from the motherboard.

I would say a 10 year old mediocre Antec PSU should be retired.