[SOLVED] Possible RAM incompatibility (L-IG41M3 old Motherboard)

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Good afternoon.

Inside a very old microtower, used for a cameras recording system, the memory it had installed was requested to be upgraded because the need of making the computer going a bit faster. The motherboard is a Lenovo L-IG41M3 V:1.1

The memory it had installed was:
2GB 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600U - 9 -10 - B0

I went to a PNY reseller, gave the old memory and they handled me:
8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 - CL11-11-11-28 1.5V DIMM

However, after trying to turn on the computer with the new one, it does basically nothing, the 'Load' light is dead, it just turns on and stays inert.

Any help with this issue, please?

Also, here are the two RAM memory slots.

Solution
First off, did you make sure the BIOS for the Lenovo motherboard was up to date prior to the ram swap? To add, you might want to source older sticks of ram, rams that were around when that motherboard was in use(brand new) since the IC's on the latter gen sticks of ram would be the main reason of the new sticks of ram not working on that G41 chipset motherboard, provided the BIOS for the motherboard is up to date.

In relation to your predicament, yes the rams should be able to work on that motherboard after being downclocked but some BIOS can't do so and they end up being nitpicky when you're working with high density sticks of ram. Look into 2GB sticks of ram identical to the one you initially had or 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz 1.5v of ram.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, did you make sure the BIOS for the Lenovo motherboard was up to date prior to the ram swap? To add, you might want to source older sticks of ram, rams that were around when that motherboard was in use(brand new) since the IC's on the latter gen sticks of ram would be the main reason of the new sticks of ram not working on that G41 chipset motherboard, provided the BIOS for the motherboard is up to date.

In relation to your predicament, yes the rams should be able to work on that motherboard after being downclocked but some BIOS can't do so and they end up being nitpicky when you're working with high density sticks of ram. Look into 2GB sticks of ram identical to the one you initially had or 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz 1.5v of ram.

Solution

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019

About the BIOS question: Yes, it's up to date (y)

I went to the PNY seller basically under advice of another 3 stores I visited, considering they suggested me heading either to dubious provenance stores at the other side of the city looking for second hand memories, or that seller at the center as "they always have all things".

In the store, seller told me "all memories are the same" when handling me the 8GB one, something that left me wondering yet considering how old the computer is, but I still went with it.

Thankfully, seller told me I can go and change it in case it didn't work. I'll tell him I need a different one, based in your guidance. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Lutfij