Question Possible RAM Issue, Random game crashes, Blue Screen of Death ever since adding RAM

mattzter2

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017
Keep getting BSOD while playing games randomly, game crashes, pc crashes ever since adding ram, same family of RAM as my old ram, same timing, voltage, just 2x16gb instead of 2x8gb

I previously was running without a hassle on 2x8gb 3200mhz TridentZ RGB sticks of RAM and added 2x16gb 3200mhz TridentZ RGB sticks. Same timing, same latency, same voltage and every once in awhile while gaming, im catching a blue screen of death or the game crashing. My last blue screen of death read,"Stop Code: System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled" and the What failed part said,"dxgmms2.sys"

Any help would be amazing, I plan on pulling the RAM out and blowing out the pins again, Just to make sure it didnt get dirty on installation. The BIOS recognizes the RAM and it let me adjust the frequency and I dont have any problems with POST.

Specs: CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x GPU: Asus 1080ti PSU: EVGA 750 gold

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Simply don't add/mix ram. There are no guarantees with doing so - NONE. It's done at your own risk.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. You lost this dice roll.

same family of RAM as my old ram, same timing, voltage, just 2x16gb instead of 2x8gb
Still doesn't make them the same.

Take the 2x 8GB kit out and test with the other.
It could also be that one or both of the new sticks is defective. At that point, I'd suggest testing with Memtest86: https://www.memtest86.com/

The older Ryzens are real picky about memory configs, so that only raises the odds against you.