Possible SSD Failure

IIIPlasmaIII

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
Greetings,

I just wanted some general support here about my SSD storage device.
I suspect that this storage device is failing or is faulty, as I have seen the
following warning signs;

1. Sometimes booting up or restarting the computer, it tries to start over PXE,
Ipv4 followed by Ipv6, then tells me to "reboot and select proper boot device"...
and works fine after a restart once that screen has appeared. Its acting as if there were no
drive at all there to boot off of, I suspect. However, restarting usually fixes it, so
the drive itself is listed in the BIOS correctly.

2. I have run HDSentiel to get some information on what might be the issue and the
results from the SSD:
"Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 1573 times.
In the case of sudden system crash, reboot, blue-screen-of-death, inaccessible
file(s)/folder(s), it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections
- and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems.
More information: http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #169 Remain
Life Percentage

No actions needed. (Performance 100%, health 97%)"

Do SSDs just... fail like this? Usually its the HDD that has the issues, but not
in this case.
Case of a loose or faulty SATA cord?

Everything else seems functioning fine, no bad sectors, no file loss, no speed
difference that I can tell yet...
However, if this SSD IS failing, what can I do about it?
I would prefer to not need to reinstall windows, but if that is one of the only
options left I will proceed with it. If the drive is failing, would making a disk
image copy be a feasible option to restore data to a new SSD? What are my options
for keeping my data?

I have transferred some data/files I would like to keep to my other storage
device, the combo HDD drive, off of the SSD just in case. The HDD is running just
fine, no problems there. I have since left my computer running instead of shutting
down and restarting due to the fear that it might not boot up again.

Sorry for the verbose description, but I would like to get a ballpark on what
needs to be done to my computer before my SSD kicks the bucket, should that be the
case.

Thanks in advance for any assistance regarding my issue.

Solution
Hey there, IIIPlasmaIII.

I'd recommend that you test the drive with its manufacturer's diagnostic tool (most manufacturer's have such a tool) or pick a 3rd party one from this link in case the manufacturer doesn't offer one: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm.

Good job on backing up you important information! As you've mentioned as well, it could be a faulty SATA port or cables, so go ahead and give it a try with different ones, to see if the same thing happens. You could also check the manufacturer's website for available firmware updates for this SSD model. Other than that you could also try resetting or updating the BIOS/UEFI of the computer and see if it fixes the problem.

Hope that helps. Please let...
Hey there, IIIPlasmaIII.

I'd recommend that you test the drive with its manufacturer's diagnostic tool (most manufacturer's have such a tool) or pick a 3rd party one from this link in case the manufacturer doesn't offer one: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm.

Good job on backing up you important information! As you've mentioned as well, it could be a faulty SATA port or cables, so go ahead and give it a try with different ones, to see if the same thing happens. You could also check the manufacturer's website for available firmware updates for this SSD model. Other than that you could also try resetting or updating the BIOS/UEFI of the computer and see if it fixes the problem.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution