Possible to disable auto-installation of GPU drivers on startup?

muffinz10

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Long story short, I'm having a few problems with my GPU that I wasn't in the past. I'm want to see if the new drivers I installed a while back are the culprit. My plan was uninstall my current drivers and instead install the drivers on the EVGA disc that came with the GPU (which I was using before these problems occurred).

The problem is that when I start up windows without any drivers installed, it automatically installs them for me (not exactly sure which source these drivers come from, but they aren't they version that I want in any case).

How can I disable this automatic installing of the GPU drivers on startup?

seriousgigi

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2015
start/right click my computer/properties/advanced system settings/hardware/device installation settings/....... choose no and never install drivers

that doesnt work. i did that then deleted gpu drivers in safe mode using ddu uninstaller. then restarded windows after 10 seconds from logging on windwos automatically installed an old version of radeon software. it seems windows automatically downloaded that driver before and no need to download it again.

complete joke.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
So uninstall and delete the the old Radeon drivers that it d/l before IN DEVICE MANAGER. When uninstalling, check the box to delete these drivers. When you restart it will put generic M$ drivers in and then once you get going put the drivers in you want.
I have had to go into windows folder and delete from the "info" files before. Be careful what/if you manually delete.

Last edited:

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
WAIT WAIT WAIT
I'm helping "seriousgigi" that posted this morning. I look a little closer and he's answering/using a post meant for another poster from 2011, 9 YEARS AGO. What's really going on?
Somebody qualifies for a MHMR interview
and it could be me.

Reactions: seriousgigi