[SOLVED] Possible to do Pi-Hole with Public DNS server?

Davidc94

Reputable
Feb 11, 2020
So I am really wanting to know if it is possible to do the following: I am wanting to set up Pi-Hole (adblocking through DNS filtering) on my home network by pointing my router to the DNS server and filter I created on the Raspberry Pi with the capabilities of also having my family members who have their own separate network and router's pointing to my potential public DNS server. Sorry if that was a headache to understand. Essentially, I want the Pi-Hole system in my network, and I want outside networks to be able to utilize my Pi-Hole, even though they are not on my network. Does that make sense? Can it be done? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

For network topology clarification:
View: https://imgur.com/a/WrZIO2j

Thank you for your time and help.

Solution
So I am really wanting to know if it is possible to do the following: I am wanting to set up Pi-Hole (adblocking through DNS filtering) on my home network by pointing my router to the DNS server and filter I created on the Raspberry Pi with the capabilities of also having my family members who have their own separate network and router's pointing to my potential public DNS server. Sorry if that was a headache to understand. Essentially, I want the Pi-Hole system in my network, and I want outside networks to be able to utilize my Pi-Hole, even though they are not on my network. Does that make sense? Can it be done? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

View...

kanewolf

Titan

View: https://imgur.com/a/WrZIO2j

Thank you for your time and help.
You could. I wouldn't recommend it. Opening the standard DNS ports on your router to your PI hole would invite the entire internet to attempt to attack your DNS server.
You would be better off gifting your siblings their own PI Hole hardware/software.

Reactions: Davidc94
Solution

Davidc94

Reputable
Feb 11, 2020
You could. I wouldn't recommend it. Opening the standard DNS ports on your router to your PI hole would invite the entire internet to attempt to attack your DNS server.
You would be better off gifting your siblings their own PI Hole hardware/software.
As someone studying cyber, I wouldn't mind the challenges associated with that. It would make for a good project. Any recommendations?