Question Possible to download a file from just a phone tap?

sayooyas

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
I'm a teacher and was wondering if there is a way to load a word document on a raspberry pi or something else that will allow a simple phone tap. which is using NFC or RFID, to download the word document. I to use it to give out homework to my students. Please suggest something because i have not much clue on what other tech is there in the market.

Ralston18

Titan
Possible.

Overall, an RFID reader is not intended for file transfers as I understand your post.

However more information is needed about the specific requirements.

What you will be doing, what the students are expected to do, what devices do the students have or use?

What is the process of the students coming into class and "getting" their homework assignments.

Do you have a classroom network - wired and/or wireless?

sayooyas

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Possible.

Overall, an RFID reader is not intended for file transfers as I understand your post.

However more information is needed about the specific requirements.

What you will be doing, what the students are expected to do, what devices do the students have or use?

What is the process of the students coming into class and "getting" their homework assignments.

Do you have a classroom network - wired and/or wireless?

Usually give out word documents with simple texts on what the homework is. Sometimes the document is at best half a page but there are times where i have to use 3 to 4 pages. There is never any pictures or additional aesthetic stuff added to the file. If compressed well and changed to maybe a pdf that might reduce the size of the file, which i dont mind.

I wish the students can simply tap their phone on something and they get a prompt asking if they want to download the file. I got this idea from nearby share by google.

Most of the students use android but some are on ios as well.

No, its a normal class with no computers. There is school wifi but, its extremely tedious to connect to.

At first they used to take photos of the board but once it started taking too much of their time, i switched to qr codes to google drive. Which isnt bad but something offline would work even better and faster.

kanewolf

Titan
Usually give out word documents with simple texts on what the homework is. Sometimes the document is at best half a page but there are times where i have to use 3 to 4 pages. There is never any pictures or additional aesthetic stuff added to the file. If compressed well and changed to maybe a pdf that might reduce the size of the file, which i dont mind.

I wish the students can simply tap their phone on something and they get a prompt asking if they want to download the file. I got this idea from nearby share by google.

Most of the students use android but some are on ios as well.

No, its a normal class with no computers. There is school wifi but, its extremely tedious to connect to.

At first they used to take photos of the board but once it started taking too much of their time, i switched to qr codes to google drive. Which isnt bad but something offline would work even better and faster.
The simplest thing would be to create a QR code that the students could scan with their phone cameras. The QR code could point to the file you desire them to access.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
When I was teaching I had a website for such things. A calendar summed up each day and clicking on a day opened a pop-up containing that days assignment in pdf and any other info they needed.

It was a service I payed for that hosted everything and had the calendar template and such. Parents loved it cause they could easily keep up with what was going on in class, test dates and so on.

Was a long time ago and I've forgotten what it was called now but was only like $20 for a year if I recall right.

edit: but for just a local file download, the QR code idea sounds like a good one. i'm sure you have some kind of school provided storage that can host the file for the short term.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS