Possible to transfer Pre-installed Win8.1 OEM license to another PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Hi,

I know this question has been asked before, but I find different answers so I'm a bit confused.
I've got a laptop which came with Win8 pre-installed(OEM), and I upgraded to 8.1. Now I'm putting together a new gaming-rig, and I was wondering if I could transfer the laptop's OEM license to my new pc.(I will install Linux Mint 17 on this laptop after.)Here they say it can be done, but here and here they say it cannot be done.(as I understand it) I searched for the answer on this specific question, so those links describe the answer for the OEM version, not Retail. Microsoft itself isn't very clear on this either. At least, not to me. Can someone confirm whether this can be done or not? I don't want to risk losing my license. If the right answer is in one of those posts, please correct me, but as I understand it, they contradict each other.
Thanks for the help

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

It's not any harder from them to design a windows which is freely movable across systems I suppose. So they just make use of, willingness to pay, consumer surplus, they skim it off. (or how do you say that in english) I can't blame the for using that marketing technique, but i still think it's stingy. But that's just my opinion.

USAFRet

Titan

No it isn't any harder. Hence the Retail license for Win 8/8.1, which is freely reusable across systems.
But to get the price down, they work with manufacturers. With a preinstalled system, you are getting that license from the manufacturer, not directly from MS.

If the ~$90 Windows 8 license were a direct cost on top of the laptop/desktop....people would bitch at the overall price.
They give it to the manufacturer for cheap, and that is just included in the price of the whole thing.

We can buy a brand new laptop or desktop for $275. Obviously, the Windows license, as a separate line item, is not 40% of that.

r00tb33r

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

The $90 retail price is a poor indicator. What is a good indicator is the average sale price of the software. Count up all the volume licenses, all the OEM keys, all the upgrade keys, and the average is much much lower than the retail figure. If you choose to pay above average for the same software many others get cheaper, that's your personal choice. Telling everyone they are supposed to pay retail accomplishes little on a technical forum.

There is more than one price for a legal copy of Windows. That's the point I am making.

r00tb33r

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Okay, my new machine arrived today. To my pleasure the OEM Windows 8.1 was not activated at the factory on this laptop. It's asking me to activate online or by phone. Phone activation presents me with a 9x7 installation ID.

I'm going to recover the key from this machine and perform installation on another machine. I'm assuming that if it lets me go to phone activation on the other machine it means that it accepts the OEM key in a type-in form, and not necessarily from the BIOS.

r00tb33r

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I was able to install Windows 8.1 onto a desktop PC using the key I retrieved from the MSDM ACPI table on the new laptop. The installer accepted my key and I performed the installation offline. I got as far as the phone activation screen where I am presented with the 9x7 installation ID. If I had called the activation line and entered the installation ID, is there a chance I would not have been able to activate? Does installation ID tell Microsoft whether I typed in the key or it came from the BIOS? Or if Windows 8.1 checks for OEM key in the BIOS I was supposed to fail earlier than this? This is as far as I can go right now as I have no plans to activate this key on any machine yet until I decide if I'm getting Windows 10 upgrades or not.

Notes:

r00tb33r

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Yes, it's an OEM key from a laptop. Yes, I think so too, Microsoft would know what kind of key they made. ;)
If I got as far as phone activation on a non-OEM desktop machine using this OEM key, would I fail to activate over the phone using the generated installation ID?

r00tb33r

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

That would be a concern. Not a pirated key however. I never activated this key on the original machine and I am removing Windows 8.1 from the original machine to use Windows 7 anyway. So one machine per key.

r00tb33r

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

True, but we work with what we've got. This time I have an OEM key.