Possible to use up to 7-8TB a month of internet on a hotspot?

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
So I am having a debate with a friend and he's trying to tell me he uses up to 7-8TB of wireless data from his mobile hotspot from AT&T. Which, if let's, hypothetically say that for every hour he streams video, he pulls 3GB an hour. (Which is the hypothetical equivalent of nearly 2,333 hours of video in order to reach just 7TB, at a rate of 3GB/hour, and there is only 744 hours in a month with 31 days in it, and 2,333 hours is around 3 months, ish... so...) He says he typically uses 1-17 devices on it at once and most of them just like to update apps and backup their phones (around 15-20GB per backup), and then he'll stream videos and music a lot.

He showed me a screenshot of his data usage and it says his current data pull from the last 57 minutes (since his last period) is around 7.4GB. Which would, yes, if going at that rate CONSTANTLY would end up being around 5,505.6GB or ~5.4-5.6TB. What do you guys think? Do you think it's possible for him to be pulling that much data?

I personally stream YouTube, Netflix, music, I upload (YouTube and download videos and pictures a lot, I live-stream my videos sometimes, which can be an upward of 2-4 hours long, and that's just MY device, running at a speed of around 300mbps on wifi. Let alone my phone, everyone else's devices in the house, on 5G on a quad channel router. And total a month, we average about 200-300GB per month. Altogether. He's telling me that his hotspot alone pulls nearly 7-8TB... and his aunt or whatever has gigabit internet, and they pull even more data from that.

What do you guys think?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
then is hotspot is open and all the surending get free internet from it does it have a router and made him check witch mac wireless device is on the permit and block all the other he does not know or have .

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

It's password protected and only him an his friends use it. He says at work he'll have up to 17 people connected to it. Is it possible though to pull that much data in a month?

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

??? I don't understand what you're saying... also, where did you get the two from? Only 17 not 19. He can only have a max of 17 people on it. And he does usually max it out. It's password protected and only people he purposely gives the password to and lets them connect are pulling data. My question is not if there is something wrong, I'm just asking if it's possible for him to pull that much data in a month.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

I don't think you're understanding what I wrote.

HE uses video streaming and music streaming... not his friends. His friends (so 16 out of the 17 total connected) only use it to browse social media, update apps, or ONCE IN A WHILE, backup their phone storage data.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

Okay you really don't understand my question or what I am saying at all so I'm gonna stop responding and make a new post.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

Could they use that much though if he was the only one doing intense streaming and whatnot? While the others casually scrolled through social media and stuffs? I did the math and even if he had a high GB/hour video streaming rate, it'd take 2,333+ hours of just THAT to reach 7TB let alone 8 TB. That's around 3 months of video being watched in a single month and if he's the only one doing streaming like that, it doesn't really make sense

USAFRet

Titan

"social media" - facebook...has a TON of video content.
16 people @6 hours/day is 2880 hours per month.

Or from a different direction:
8TB and 16 people is only 500GB each permonth.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

Right, but it's also not ALL videos, plus I watch a lot of videos on my phone's Facebook personally, and have a 2GB data cap, and I can go all month and not reach that. IDK, it seems unlikely to me.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Ironarmygeneral : "*Repost* Is it possible to use 7-8TB of data a month on a wireless AT&T hotspot?"

Most carriers will downgrade you to 3g speeds once you have used about 22-50 gigabytes of data in a billing cycle in order to stop people from monopolizing the data.

https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-att-t-mobile-sprint-unlimited-data-plan-comparison/

Verizon: "We may prioritize your data behind other Verizon customers during network congestion."

T-Mobile: "On all T-Mobile plans, during congestion, the small fraction of customers using more than 50GB per month may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to prioritization."

AT&T: "On AT&T Unlimited &More Premium, after 22GB of data usage on a line in a bill cycle, for the remainder of the cycle a customer may temporarily experience reduced speeds on that line during times of network congestion. On AT&T Unlimited &More, for all data usage, customer may temporarily experience reduced speeds on these line(s) during times of network congestion."

Sprint: "Customers who use more than 23GB of data during a billing cycle will be 'deprioritized' during times & places where the Sprint network is constrained."

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

Sorry. I was gonna delete the old one but I couldn't figure out how to delete it. There was a guy on there "answering" it but he obviously didn't speak English and didn't understand my question at all and people weren't commenting on it because they saw that there were already replies on the thread.