[SOLVED] Possible upgrade to my computer

Dec 28, 2018
So, i have been looking after some things to maybe in the future to upgrade my pc. Right now this is my setup:
970 4GB OC
i5-6600 3.3 ghz
16 GB of HyperX fury at 2133 mhz (motherboard dosent support higher speeds with CPU)
B150M-A motherboard

I have been looking at a quite cheap 980 ti but, maybe its the cpu i should be looking at?
Any advise is good, thanks in advance
Marcus

Solution

With the VS550's 504W (+12v) rail, you'd probably be beyond the efficiency threshold when the CPU and GTX 980 Ti are both at their extreme usage. It will work, but you may see some loss of performance if the economy PSU can't maintain the voltage at peak demands. You're right at the margin.
Personally, I'd probably go for it. But that is just me. The proper thing for me to...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you have a good quality 600W PSU or better, go for the GTX 980 Ti. Your i5-6600 should be able to keep up with it in all but the most CPU demanding, heavily player-populated games. Then go for the CPU upgrade next if the games you play seem to max out the i5-6600 usage. Basically, it depends on what your CPU vs GPU usage is now in gaming. Is your CPU hitting 100% usage gaming?

Dec 28, 2018
Well, my CPU does tend to max in PUBG etc. but, im that kinda guy that plays alot of diffrent games. One day i could take out my g920 and play some dirt rally and, other times i play south park. I think maybe i should go for the gpu but, i only have a 550 corshairs VS if that not gonna cut it, i may look at some older gen cpu. What do you think?

It depends on what monitor and refresh rate you have, as to what you should prioritize in your upgrade. How much are you willing to spend? If you have a 1080p monitor, my advice would be to update the bios and purchase a used i7 7700 on eBay, as the i5 6600 won't be able to play triple A titles as well, due to being maxed out all the time. Therefore any graphics card you choose to upgrade will be held back by the i5 6600. You'll see more of a performance uplift going from upgrading the processor.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

With the VS550's 504W (+12v) rail, you'd probably be beyond the efficiency threshold when the CPU and GTX 980 Ti are both at their extreme usage. It will work, but you may see some loss of performance if the economy PSU can't maintain the voltage at peak demands. You're right at the margin.
Personally, I'd probably go for it. But that is just me. The proper thing for me to do is to recommend a less power-hungry card or a beefier PSU.

Solution