Possible User-made Tier Lists?

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016
Hey! Before I start, I want to state that I am aware of the Best Of lists. So I had this idea after thinking of what to do with strawpolls (earlier thread) and I thought maybe we could make tier lists (like the PSU Tier List 2.0, etc.) for other parts such as Motherboards (not chipsets, already have one for those), RAM, Cases, CPU Coolers, etc. I am not asking the mods to make this in any way (you already have done a great service to this community and are probably busy enough, i thank you for it) but was asking if they is allowed or if anyone wants to shed some light on the subject, because I don't think I have seen any of these tier lists but someone might have.

Thanks for reading.

Solution
i would not say its a bad idea but its a huge amount of work at the same time. i dont have any problem with it but i will say we have seen many such projects or intentions that really do not turn out well given people dont seem to realize the sheer time required to tackle the project. the power supplies thread is a massive undertaking for people doing all this for free and in their free time.

first, it needs to be kept up to date or its useful period is very short. second, the information would need to be correct. third, it can be hard to rank some of those products without being biased or introducing opinion. ram for instance is either good or bad generally - how do you rate that other than taking it outside of spec and invalidating...
i would not say its a bad idea but its a huge amount of work at the same time. i dont have any problem with it but i will say we have seen many such projects or intentions that really do not turn out well given people dont seem to realize the sheer time required to tackle the project. the power supplies thread is a massive undertaking for people doing all this for free and in their free time.

first, it needs to be kept up to date or its useful period is very short. second, the information would need to be correct. third, it can be hard to rank some of those products without being biased or introducing opinion. ram for instance is either good or bad generally - how do you rate that other than taking it outside of spec and invalidating the experiment? motherboards have a little more leeway as some are junk, some are not meant to overclock on and some are enthusiast boards. generally we seem to rate them as far as groups (general use boards, enthusiast boards) instead of tiers currently

tldr; i dont see a problem with it but i hope you realize its a huge chunk of work.

Solution