Question Possible water damage to GPU, can it be saved ?

Sep 8, 2024
This happened within 3 days On the first day i turned on my pc , There was no display on the monitor ( gpu fans were spinning and lights were on) vga qled on the motherboard was also on . I opened the case and saw that there were small water droplets on my gpu and motherboard , So i immediately unplugged all the cables and that whole day i kept it outside and let it dry (air drying with some sunlight ) . And on the next day when i turned it back on, it worked perfectly fine again.

After using my pc for about 6 hours , I turned it off and turned it back on after about an hour , There was no display on the monitor ( gpu fans were spinning and lights were on) vga qled on the motherboard was also on just like on the first day ,but i didnt see any water , I turned it off , unplugged all the cables and had to do some other urgent work so i didn't actually check on it until the next morning, I thought letting it dry for some time might get rid of any water (even though there wasnt any visible water droplets inside the gpu) and solve the problem like last time, BUT when i turned it back on the gpu didn't power on , gpu fans and lights not working, it wasn't even heating up as well either.

So i removed the backplate of the gpu and saw some some minor corrosion(white oxidation maybe ) on the backside of the gpu. all the other components of the card were fine( no signs of blown components in the circuit ,i checked carefully ). And even the corrosion was on a very tiny area as well. I checked the graphics card on a friends pc as well but still the same problem.
could this be the reason my gpu is not powering on or did it get shorted out and toast. please if u guys have encountered a similar situation and found a solution let me know , It would be much appreciated :)

The lighting on these pictures is a bit bad so just to clarify , the one with the blue encircled outlines shows the corrosion. other parts are fine.
These small corroded (or oxidation maybe) areas are exactly on the backside of the card where the hdmi and other ports are on the opposite side.

And im not sure why the water droplets are forming ,this happened some time before but it was on the casing of the PC, not inside it. maybe something related to humidity eg.?

Images of the card:

https://ibb.co/s6Nw1gx

https://ibb.co/4jDdRZt

https://ibb.co/Krt9WJ5

Last edited:
where did you get the card;
purchased new at a store or online,
purchased used or refurbished,
gifted, etc..?

normally when I've encountered systems affected by liquid spillage there are many damaged components.
I'd say if it's only the card, you got off easy.

if you don't have a compatible system handy to test each component individually,
take the system to a local shop and have everything diagnosed.

Sep 8, 2024
where did you get the card;
purchased new at a store or online,
purchased used or refurbished,
gifted, etc..?

normally when I've encountered systems affected by liquid spillage there are many damaged components.
I'd say if it's only the card, you got off easy.

if you don't have a compatible system handy to test each component individually,
take the system to a local shop and have everything diagnosed.
I purchased it brand new 2 years ago(not 2nd hand) . Warranty is over btw, I checked all the other parts on a friend's pc , they work without any problem, motherboard works fine too, only VGA card not working. So would cleaning the corrosion with isopropyl alcohol fix it by any chance?

checked all the other parts on a friend's pc , they work without any problem...only VGA card not working
if the card doesn't work on either system it is more than likely damaged beyond repair.
would cleaning the corrosion with isopropyl alcohol fix it by any chance?
of course you can attempt cleaning since there's no warranty to void anyway.

it's possible that you could remove some built-up sediment and allow proper contact again, but i wouldn't get my hopes up.
good luck though.

Reactions: Phaaze88