Possibly One of the Best Keyboards Ever

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I still have an old 1980 IBM keyboard. Nothing is faded yet. It is loud and really heavy but at nearly 30 years old and with several drops to a tile floor I think that is worth the weight.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I still have an old 1980 IBM keyboard. Nothing is faded yet. It is loud and really heavy but at nearly 30 years old and with several drops to a tile floor I think that is worth the weight.

billeboy

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
DECK KEYBOARDS: I have had one of these for about 4 years now. still works like it is brand new and since the keys do not have ink on them they will never wear out. not to mention every key is backlit with its own LED. they also sell online, every replacement part for the keyboards they make.

I have been using computers for the last 20 years and this is the best keyboard I have ever come across.

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/

they are little expensive, but it well worth it!

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I have a MS 4000 Natural and I should've kept my money.

They put the number "6" on the wrong side and I'll never get used to it.
The SPACEBAR binds if you don't hit it directly on center.
It's made for people with big hands / long fingers.

For the love of God, why won't somebody put a damn "TAB" key over next to the numeric keypad so you can fill out forms without using two hands?????

For the love of God, when are keyboard manufacturers gonna get a clue about the fact that people have different size hands?????? You don't go into Walmart and find gloves in only one size do you?

In high school I learned to type on an IBM Selectric typewriter. Somebody smart designed that keyboard for typists. It had a concave shape which shortened the distance to reach from the home-row to the upper rows of keys. Why was that intelligence lost on following generations of keyboard engineers??

I understand needing to go flat for laptops, but flat keyboards are inferior. Flat is the wrong answer for high typing speed and it's especially bad for people with short fingers. You should be able to rest your palms in a single spot and type everything from letters to symbols while moving only your fingers.

The IBM Selectric failed to provide a proper palm-rest. Other than that, it was magnificent. Of course you need a numeric keypad and extra keys for PC's. Splitting the keyboard in half, slanting the key orientations bottom out and adding a proper palm-rest are great for ergonomics and a step forward, but going flat is a step backward.

sparky13

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]That keyboard is ugly i prefer a low profile keyboard that is rubber coated for gaming.http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-ke [...] a-keyboard[/citation]
+1 I LOVE the feel of my Lcosa. Typing on it right now feels so... sexy. Wonderful 'clicky' input without being too loud, slip/smudge free rubber topped keys, fantastic build quality, and it's not large at all (actually smaller than the crappyp emachine keyboard I had been using for the past five years).

G

try after try, they still mess it up
a mediocre cherry blue keyboard that they have to recall within a week

guys, just buy filco

razer, LOL

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I'm definitely a touch typist, but I'd rather not have a blank keyboard. Just looks unfinished to me personally. Also, I don't like the sound of keys, I prefer quiet keys. As do my roommates as I am an insomniac.

But I appreciate the design, it's certainly geared towards your minimalist power users.

I enjoy my macro keys and volume control.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]adillhoff[/nom]Rubber coated is better for gaming? What world are you from? The best gaming keyboards have mechanical key switches. Rubber membrane style keyboards are severely hindered in response time and simultaneous key presses. This isn't opinion. This is fact. Please study more about keyboards. There could be uneducated impressionable minds reading these comments. We wouldn't want your ignorance to sway their beliefs.[/citation]

Im talking about rubber coated keys the surface of the keys are rubber and low profile so your finger just glide they are not raised like on normal keyboards.

I highly doubt das keyboard was designed for gaming , i have mechanical keyboards like the above i own a computer store and have been a tech for over 20 years.

The latency of the signal is what matters they don't even have it listed
razer keyboard is: 1000Hz Ultrapolling™ / 1ms response time.
A Keytop That is Eight Times as Responsive
The Razer Lycosa has with 1000Hz Ultrapolling™. This means a delay of only 1ms between the keystroke and the key's reaction, as compared to that of 125Hz / 8ms found in conventional keyboards.

Anti-Ghosting Capability
With the anti-ghosting capability of the Razer you can press up to an unprecedented 10 buttons at one go without the "ghosting" effect (For a conventional keyboard, signal failure occurs when three to four keys are pressed simultaneously). This means more commands can now be executed at any one time.

As for being rubber membrane not sure if that what is used it is not on the specs but i can tell you from experience that the razer keyboard is much better for gaming i play alot of darkfall and the controls are key based.

Mechanical keys make too much noise and need more pressure on the down stroke which could mean life or death in a fps or darkfall.

The Tarantula is rated higher although i could not find it where i live.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards/razer-tarantula/

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
$129.00 for the Ultimate? I'd rather go to a parts bin get a REAL IBM Model M for $5, which would probably still have all its labels on it after 15 years

G

It really seems like a paid review.
I personally don't like these overpriced everlasting things, I prefer buing new keybord with new computer for a reasonable price

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
waste of money.

they keyboard has no special features. it is better to just get a gaming keyboard or buy a cheap $10-$20 one.

PS I have a old compaq ks-2800c keyboard that I bought about 11 years ago for $20, it can handle 5 key presses at the same time and it is very heavy compared to many of todays keyboards, and it works just like new and it has 18 extra buttons, more features and good build quality

how much more build quality do you need?

$129 is a complete ripof PS my old 11 year old keyboard only has the wasd keys only slightly faded (the ink is not as dark as the other keys)
but I use my PC pretty much all day and do a lot of trying and gaming (it still also does the nice loud click sound when you press the keys)

I like having the standard keyboard layout with any additional buttons on the top of the keyboard which still allows you to get the feel of standard keyboard.

thet das keyboard crap would be worth it if it was like $10-20

PS colored plastic is nothing special, cheap toys from a fast food kids mean has plastic thats has it's color through the thickness of it. thats the wonder of plastic, you add the color while it is melted and being mixed so when you inject it in the mold, it has all of the color in it, it is also cheaper than painting the pastic later on because later on because you don't have to add a special paint and then bake the plastic at like 400F for a few minutes them cool it then ad the letters then repeat the process again (cant add both as the color will run if you do)

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The keyboard I'm using now cost me a whopping 7 dollars. I've used it for roughly 4 years. I can still achieve around 90-96 words per minute.

When you look at 7 dollars compared to 130 dollars, I'm quite content with the performance I'm getting now.

Lets be honest with ourselves Tuan, while this keyboard is awesome, no doubt, it's just not a good value. If one of the hardware guys were to write a 'best keyboard for the money', lets face it... This wouldn't find it's way there, period.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Or you could just get a Deck keyboard, best quality i've every typed on, and they have LEDs under every keycap, so they're actually bright enough to see, unlike every other illuminated keyboard i've ever used (g15, saitek eclipse).

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I'm an excellent touch typist, but I have to admit a blank keyboard sounds a little odd. I think it would be pretty intimidating for guests too.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I agree with eklipz. This isn't news or anything remotely to it. You're not objectively reviewing it and there's nothing truly newsworthy about it. You're just shooting off its features and hyping all your readers up to buy it. You're selling it to us.

G

I would hate a clicking keyboard!
I think a keyboard could be created,just like in the 80's with a little speaker simulating clicks,and that would be good enough to me; because then I could change the clicking volume or just turn it off.

I don't know why you'd suggest the ultimate, seeing that it is a blank keyboard!
I'm sure that a keyboard with the absence of letters is much more uncomfortable than one that does not click,or perhaps feels a little less nice.

FriendlyFire

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm sorry but that just sounds like plain elitism. A blank keyboard is utterly useless, and I'm supposed to pay a premium just for the clicking sound it makes? Screw that.

Oh and, I've got like 10 keyboards around here, all of them have seen a LOT of use and, apart from a slight change in the finish (become more glossy), I've never seen any sort of color fading or wear. My G15 keyboard's been rocking solidly ever since I bought it, and the backlit keys are a wonder.

I'll stick with those feature-packed keyboards you seem to loathe so much; I like my media keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.