[SOLVED] Post code 91 after easy overclock

Dec 19, 2018
So i have an 17 6850k base clock 3.6ghz. I get 36degrees celsius on idle.

I did a user benchmark and my cpu wasnt performing aswell as other peoples. When i go into bios to do the EZ OC for cpu when i try to boot back up i get stuck on post code 91. Any help

Solution
You shouldn’t use an overclocking program. You want to manually type a multiplier in your bios. Say you put 42. Your CPU will run at 4.2ghz. Now you’ll go to where you see an option for CPU voltage or Vcore etc. I’d start at 1.25v. Run stress tests and see if you crash. If you do crash try upping the voltage to 1.26,1.27, etc. until stable. Once stable you can try setting your multiplier to 43. Repeat stress tests and bumping the voltage up until you’re happy with the speed you get stable at. Just watch your temps, try to stay below 90 and i wouldn’t recommend going over 1.35v. The “safe” voltage is 1.5v but with little experience i wouldn’t try going that high.

Once you do find an OC you’re happy with you can enable adaptive...
Dec 19, 2018
I know that already. That doesnt fix my issue. The issue is that i can never use the ez oc because when i do i get post code 91. Im trying to figure out how to fix that.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
You shouldn’t use an overclocking program. You want to manually type a multiplier in your bios. Say you put 42. Your CPU will run at 4.2ghz. Now you’ll go to where you see an option for CPU voltage or Vcore etc. I’d start at 1.25v. Run stress tests and see if you crash. If you do crash try upping the voltage to 1.26,1.27, etc. until stable. Once stable you can try setting your multiplier to 43. Repeat stress tests and bumping the voltage up until you’re happy with the speed you get stable at. Just watch your temps, try to stay below 90 and i wouldn’t recommend going over 1.35v. The “safe” voltage is 1.5v but with little experience i wouldn’t try going that high.

Once you do find an OC you’re happy with you can enable adaptive voltage. This will allow your cpu to downclock when not being heavily used.

Solution
Dec 19, 2018
So im still getting post code 91 so im starting to think that anything to do with overclocking will give that code to me. However when i turn the psu off and remove all power then plug it back in it works but i have to redo the process every time i want to turn the computer on Ill send pictures of how i overclocked still need help for the post code error though

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
That’s most likely it. On my ASUS board when you enable XMP it tries to auto OC everything and the wording isn’t confusing when it asks if that’s what you want.

The easiest solution for me was to manually enter my ram speed and timings.

Jan 20, 2020
Asus x99 Deluxe 2.

post code 91 on MB, and reboot in a loop.
not possible to get to bios.
Or getting into Bios but works very slow.

in my case overheating cpu was the reason.
My faulty kraken x62 aio pump was not pumping.
fixed by switching cpu cooler.
works tandy.

/Cheers