POST Error code 96

RabidGNN

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Hello

I’m having issues trying to finish my computer build but as I finish it I get the debug code 96 for the POST. I tried to switch the pcie slot the gpu was in, tried to run it without the gpu. Unplugged all sata, usb, etc with only one ram installed, cmos reset with the jumper and the battery, tried using onboard graphics only, switched ram and I still have the 96 post error

My monitor doesn’t even light up

I use a:
Gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 5
Evga gtx 1070ti
I7 8700
G.skills trident z
Cooler master 240l rgb

It ran the first time I plugged everything in and then when I shut it down it failed to start up

I have tried this with an aorus gaming 7 and the same issue happened but it did not happen with an old asus z370-e (but I couldn’t use that one because I had to reseat old ram every time to turn it on)

The oddest thing is that the debug leds say that it is a cpu issue despite them working the first time in the old Asia motherboard but when I turn it on it no longer says that’s the case but that it’s a gpu issue

RabidGNN

Commendable
May 6, 2016
New motherboard new cpu

Gigabyte aorus gaming 5 WiFi x470
Amd Ryzen 5 2600

Same issue only fixed if we reseat the cpu

This motherboard does not have the same led display that says 96

At first the debug led said it was the ram, now it permanently says it’s the cpu (despite this one being a completely brand new cpu)

Should I buy new ram

RabidGNN

Commendable
May 6, 2016
ok we managed to fix it,
its the display port cable so basically using an hdmi to start up causes no issue but using a displayport 1.2 cable necessitates a reseating of the cable and replugging the PSU and that restarts the CMOS

so the displayport that i bought from microcenter may or may not be compatible with either my PG248Q monitor or my 1070Ti, so me and my friend are planning on buying a displayport 1.4 to see if the problem returns because the PG248 monitor can't achieve 180hz with hdmi sadly

(also the monitor i bought was open box and did not come with its own displayport cable)