[SOLVED] POST fails only when second dimm installed ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 16, 2020
Running an ASUS X299 Mark 2 mobo
Intel 7740x Processor
Kingston HyperX 2400MHz 16Gb
EVGA 1080 SC2 gpu
Western Digital SN750 SSD 1Tb

I know there's memory issues with using this combo however I only want to use 2 slots anyways and everything I've read says it should be compatible. I've had a hyper x furry 16Gb stick in the C1 slot since I've built the computer and it's always worked. As soon as I put in an additional one I bought (same exact model. I put it on the D1 as the manual for 4 core) it fails to boot into bios and is left with the orage "dram" led on after flashing a but. I've tried hitting MEMOK, I've tested each stick (100% operational). I am typically exceptional at troubleshooting and I've never had to ask a question on how to fix an issue before but I am absolutely baffled as to what's wrong!? I even decided to boot it with one stick in C1 like normal and went into the bios, at which point I installed the other stick in D1 while it qas on(I know... dangerous! But needed to see) and then I booted into the memtest and it recognizes it. Also when I went back to the bios (by exiting memtest, not rebooting) it showed up in the correct D1 dimm and all the correct speed and capacity but when I save and exit the computer refuses to utilized the newly recognized stick of ram! So it is also not a faulty dimm slot! Removed by Moderator I am literally desperate here. Also to those that have realized I literally copied this title from an already existent thread. It's because it's the same issue, but none of the given solutions worked. Thank you to anyone that can help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I did not. However. I've been messing with where I put the dimms since I have four now. And even thought the a and b slots won't work I was just throughing crap to the wall... and guess what... it stuck.. in dimm slots b1 b2 c1 c2, it recognized c1 and c2. Even though the manual states to put it on c1 d1 for 6 core it doesn't work. But in c1 c2 it works. I took the b1 and b2 out and the c2 c2 still worked. I also tried it with different dimms to see if it would work with non paired ram and it does. So I'm going to return the pair of ram I just got. But in essence, for no apparent reason, it now works. But only when it's installed in c1 and c2 slots. Asus needs to update the manual I guess...
You still have a problem though. You...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, the memory controller must sit next to the top right corner, because that's usually the corner that gets brutalized. Especially when people install a cooler and tighten the right side down first, all the way, and then try and force the cooler to seat level so they can get the second screw started. It's not uncommon. It's quite common with 4 corner attachments, as that's usually the third corner done, people put the cooler in right handed, so top left, bottom right, top right, force the diagonal to get the last screw in bottom left.

Million youtube video's on cooler installation and they've not watched a single one. Far less interesting than the latest tic-toc I guess.

May 16, 2020
You missed my comment about a shifted or bent CPU pin in the socket. That is often the cause of a memory channel not working with LGA sockets. You can try to fix the issue by reseating the CPU. You take it out of the socket, check for bent pins and fix them with a needle or similar small thin object. Then place the CPU back in the socket, reapply thermal paste and try it again. This also can sometimes fix PCIE slots not working or the system boot looping after being moved around. Sometimes shifted or bent pins is caused by improper installation of the CPU cooler.

Sorry. I thought I responded to that. I did actually check the socket for bent pins and they are all perfect and in working order as far as I can see. I have perfect eyesight, the proper tools, and I've done this about half a dozen times before (fixing pins that is) so I promise I was thorough. I know a lot of issues are asked by people with little experience but I run a repair business on the side also I promise that is not the issue. I almost wish it was though so I could actually have a solution here haha.

Sorry. I thought I responded to that. I did actually check the socket for bent pins and they are all perfect and in working order as far as I can see. I have perfect eyesight, the proper tools, and I've done this about half a dozen times before (fixing pins that is) so I promise I was thorough. I know a lot of issues are asked by people with little experience but I run a repair business on the side also I promise that is not the issue. I almost wish it was though so I could actually have a solution here haha.
Then it has to be some kind of defect in the motherboard. I wonder if having a 6+ core CPU would have changed anything.

Honestly though, I would just try to sell the parts and put that money toward a Ryzen 7 3700X or 8c16t 4000 series. Unless you actually need more quad channel memory support, it would offer a much better multithreaded performance and you can reuse the DDR4 ram you have already. The 3700X would be nearly identical in single threaded workloads though.

May 16, 2020
Then it has to be some kind of defect in the motherboard. I wonder if having a 6+ core CPU would have changed anything.

Honestly though, I would just try to sell the parts and put that money toward a Ryzen 7 3700X or 8c16t 4000 series. Unless you actually need more quad channel memory support, it would offer a much better multithreaded performance and you can reuse the DDR4 ram you have already. The 3700X would be nearly identical in single threaded workloads though.

I think I should be fine with my current set up. It's not preferable but it should be well utilized. I Don't do anything crazy with my setup. The only reason I wanted to upgrade to 32gb was for when I have both Catia V5 and Unreal Engine 4 running at the same time it would often use up all of the 16gb. I've tested it with the 32 single channel and it's running very well hovering between 50% to 80% of the 32gb. Until my next build, I'm satisfied even with single channel.