Posting a reply

It already does this, if you click on the "Reply" link in the bottom right corner of each post.

As far as changing the default behavior to automatically include the text from the OP, that will never happen because there is no way to do that and then NOT do that for EVERY post in that thread, so .............ain't happening. Plus, even for general replies, if you just made it quote the reply above your reply, that could never work because somebody may be wanting to reply to a different post in the same thread. In any case, that kind of "default" behavior has too many potential fail mode qualifications to ever be implemented.

It already does this, if you click on the "Reply" link in the bottom right corner of each post.

As far as changing the default behavior to automatically include the text from the OP, that will never happen because there is no way to do that and then NOT do that for EVERY post in that thread, so .............ain't happening. Plus, even for general replies, if you just made it quote the reply above your reply, that could never work because somebody may be wanting to reply to a different post in the same thread. In any case, that kind of "default" behavior has too many potential fail mode qualifications to ever be implemented.
Yes it does that if you click on the reply button but if you go down the screen a little further you get a box that says 'write your reply'.
If you put your reply in that box I don't think it includes the post your talking to.

I did not say anything about including the post from the OP.
I said make it the default to include the post your replying to.
Seems the easy way to do that would be to bin that 'write your reply' box and force folks to use the reply button.

That's because if you click into that box, you are NOT "talking to" any specific thread. That's the whole point. IF you want to respond to a specific post in a thread, then you click the Reply link in the lower right hand corner of that post.

If you want to make a post that is NOT a direct reply to any specific post, then you click into the "Post reply" box down below.

It's really as simple as that.

How do you suppose the forum software is supposed to know WHICH of the posts you are wanting to reply to unless you specifically click the "Reply" link in the lower corner of THAT post?

We like more options, not less, so no, I don't see there being much chance of "binning that" and leaving only the Reply link on each post because more often than not any post being made is not specifically in response to ANY particular post that was previously made and might only be an FYI, or general observation, or merely supplying technical specifications, or any of a number of things that do not require that anybody's post be quoted.

That's because if you click into that box, you are NOT "talking to" any specific thread. That's the whole point. IF you want to respond to a specific post in a thread, then you click the Reply link in the lower right hand corner of that post.

If you want to make a post that is NOT a direct reply to any specific post, then you click into the "Post reply" box down below.

It's really as simple as that.

How do you suppose the forum software is supposed to know WHICH of the posts you are wanting to reply to unless you specifically click the "Reply" link in the lower corner of THAT post?

We like more options, not less, so no, I don't see there being much chance of "binning that" and leaving only the Reply link on each post because more often than not any post being made is not specifically in response to ANY particular post that was previously made and might only be an FYI, or general observation, or merely supplying technical specifications, or any of a number of things that do not require that anybody's post be quoted.
Every post in a thread except for the original post is a reply to some post in the thread.

Make it the default to show what post the reply is replying to.

If you want to throw in a post about flowers when the thread is about apples that's fine but your still replying to some post.

Show that post.

Everybody sees things differently, ALL of the time, in EVERY situation, which is why there are options. If you like doing it one way, you have that option. If you like it the other, that option is there too. Nobody is going to force anybody to have to include somebody else's post in their own post.

It's not that way on ANY other major forum that exists, and it's incredibly unlikely it's going to happen here either. Then again, it's not up to me, and anything is possible, so who knows?

Everybody sees things differently, ALL of the time, in EVERY situation, which is why there are options. If you like doing it one way, you have that option. If you like it the other, that option is there too. Nobody is going to force anybody to have to include somebody else's post in their own post.

It's not that way on ANY other major forum that exists, and it's incredibly unlikely it's going to happen here either. Then again, it's not up to me, and anything is possible, so who knows?
My suggestion was just to make it easier to see who's talking to who.

It's not a problem when there are just a few post in a thread but when a thread gets long it is a problem.

It does not have to be mandatory just the default with an opt out option.

Colif

Win 11 Master
or you highlight the text in the post you are replying to and click quote
xAmBqd0.jpg

so forum adds a quote like
My suggestion was just to make it easier to see who's talking to who.

It's not a problem when there are just a few post in a thread but when a thread gets long it is a problem.
which shows who/what I am replying to.

Often I only talk to the op in the post so who I am talking to should be obvious. If I answer someone else I will mention them if I want them to see reply.

or you highlight the text in the post you are replying to and click quote
xAmBqd0.jpg

so forum adds a quote like

which shows who/what I am replying to.

Often I only talk to the op in the post so who I am talking to should be obvious. If I answer someone else I will mention them if I want them to see reply.
That's ok for you.
You understand how the forums work.
There are many users who just see the box 'write your reply' so that's what they do.
Not a problem if there are only a few post in the thread but if the thread is 10/15 post long you might be left wondering who the reply is for.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No one understands how the forums work :)

Admin say they do but thats just to keep us all relaxed :)

We get posts were its obvious the person is replying to something but its not always clear what. "I had the same problem" is title of post which tells us so much,
I had someone use the report button last week when they were trying to reply. I hadn't seen that before, had to laugh.

And before I ask, I know some people don't know how to make a thread but somehow work out how to get in here and ask in a thread.

I made a bunch of posts to help people but no one looks in my sig - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mega-info-thread.3574396/

I don't think anybody pays much attention to ANYBODY's sig. If they did, we wouldn't have so many unsolved threads that were clearly already solved. Just as well, the number of threads that go past a single page are maybe less than five percent of the overall number of threads, and it's doubtful anybody wants to invest a 150% effort for a less than five percent issue, which really isn't an issue if use the tools that are already available.

Also, I think maybe a lot of users who know exactly how most forums work, in general, especially when it comes to the reply or quote system, and much fewer, perhaps less experienced forum visitors that don't. But rest assured, your recommendation has been noted at the least.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Slapss Darkbreeze for pointing out the obvious again, will you stop that :D

enough people find my How to Mark solved thread to make it have a little impact.

its not perfect but... we been here before :)

That's ok for you.
You understand how the forums work.
There are many users who just see the box 'write your reply' so that's what they do.
Not a problem if there are only a few post in the thread but if the thread is 10/15 post long you might be left wondering who the reply is for.

When you just go to the last thread and write your reply, how will the software know which of the posts you are replying to? It can't read your mind to guess what the reply is to. For example, I did a reply to your specific post so it put the post in quotes so you and the other readers know my reply is to this. If I just write something and reply using the other method, how will anyone know I was replying to this specific section and not any of the other 12 posts?

This is not just something on this forum, pretty much every forum on the internet works the same way, if someone uses the internet, it's something that can be learned. Like changing a tire or knowing how gravity works, it's a thing that should be learned in the modern world to use things properly.

When you just go to the last thread and write your reply, how will the software know which of the posts you are replying to? It can't read your mind to guess what the reply is to. For example, I did a reply to your specific post so it put the post in quotes so you and the other readers know my reply is to this. If I just write something and reply using the other method, how will anyone know I was replying to this specific section and not any of the other 12 posts?

This is not just something on this forum, pretty much every forum on the internet works the same way, if someone uses the internet, it's something that can be learned. Like changing a tire or knowing how gravity works, it's a thing that should be learned in the modern world to use things properly.
Yep. This was my point earlier. There is no way to know unless you specifically CLICK the reply link ON the thread you wish to reply to. Otherwise it could only be devised to include by default either the OP or the last, previous post. Neither of which might be what you want to respond to or about.

Many of the folks who visit the forums know how to do one thing.....point+click.

That's the way the forums should be setup ....very basic/idiot proof....not with a bunch of features to make the high priced help happy.

"When you just go to the last thread and write your reply, how will the software know which of the posts you are replying to?"
It wont that's why the 'write your reply' box should not be there.

TH management did not design the Xenforo software, so no matter what phone you pick up, if it doesn't ring directly to the desks of Kier Darby or Mike Sullivan, who are the OG devs for that package, or somebody involved in any of the add-on modules in development, then it pretty much is wasted conversation.

Colif

Win 11 Master
For a long time Tom's was on software created for it, so we could have maybe done what you wanted 2+ years or so ago except, like is the case with any software customised for a purpose, time is the enemy. Eventually the people who knew how to make necessary changes have left and the people left behind are left wondering how to make it work. If there is no support, you are kind of stuck. We were in that sort of situation ourselves. I think we had used that software for at least 10 years? (I wasn't here, I don't know)

This happened in my last job as they used Financial Software they had massaged to work for them and it ran into a problem it wasn't designed for... a change in tax. And the year 2000, it wasn't Y2K compatible. Only used 2 digits for the year in system

So Xenforo was purchased so Tom's could have more modern features that weren't in previous one, and so that changes are potentially easy to make. ( Yes, DB, I know)

Tom's is just part of a larger network so getting any changes approved that would change how posts are fundamentally handled might also get push back. Many of these sites have forums - https://www.futureplc.com/brands/ - and they all use Xenforo

TRENDING THREADS