News Potential 23% RAM Price Rise Means It's an Expensive Time To Build a PC

InvalidError

Titan
NAND chips are made using a process similar enough to DRAM that production lines can be shuffled between the two depending on demand and we have a possible rise of storage-based crypto in China causing people to buy all the storage they can. If this catches on, we're doomed: expensive NAND because storage miners are gobbling all that is available, expensive RAM because RAM capacity gets converted to more profitable NAND and even more ludicrously expensive GPUs due to low VRAM supply.

Reactions: artk2219

hannibal

Distinguished
Yeah! Enjoy!
It will take years to get even desent prising again... so many level of shortages that causes all the time increasing demand vs production. Because more and more people are getting in the situation where they need to upgrade, while those that are allready in the waiting line have not get their products.
There need to be quite long time period to even fullfill the current demand. In ”best case” next crypto boom starts before we get of current boom.

Reactions: artk2219
When a $800 dollar GPU is sellng for $2700 then yeah, its an expensive time to build a PC. And its stupid too. Not enough capacity and too many companies trying to get some. I almost imagine AMD might get worse until TSMC builds more FABs. Intel should be fine as they have plenty of capacity and are working on ways to stitch different processes together so instead of only having one they can mix and match.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sure glad I built up early last year before everything went into shortages. Most boxes are already 32GB. Enough SSD storage. Decent dedicated graphics.
It’s certainly strange times when almost everything you’ve bought in the last year has gone up in price. 3700x up $20, 2x16GB DDR 3200 up $40-45, graphics cards ridiculous percentages...

InvalidError

Titan
Glad I bought RAM and storage now for my next project because I have a feeling this is going to get really ugly really quickly.
Heh, still rocking an i5-3470 here. I was hoping to get a decently priced Ryzen 5600(X) last year but AMD shattered my budget when it announced pricing. Right now, I'm waiting for more 500-series Intel motherboards to become available and for their prices to settle. If prices stay on current trends though, I may end up skipping two more years.

g-unit1111

Titan
Heh, still rocking an i5-3470 here. I was hoping to get a decently priced Ryzen 5600(X) last year but AMD shattered my budget when it announced pricing. Right now, I'm waiting for more 500-series Intel motherboards to become available and for their prices to settle. If prices stay on current trends though, I may end up skipping two more years.

I upgraded to a 3900X last year and I am glad I did because I would not want to go through with the process now, especially because getting a GPU is so difficult. I have a GPU leftover from the upgrade which is why I'm going through with this build. My goal with this project is to build a portable console-sized rig in a Node 202 that I can transport places that will be easier than taking my desktop.