Question Potential CPU/MOBO/RAM issues

May 19, 2023
I recently built my first PC and have run into frequent memory related BSOD (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is the most common, with some page faults and KMODE errors as well).

My build

Here is a run down of what I've done to debug (roughly in order):

1. Disabled XMP
  2. Checked RAM was in slots 2 and 4 (the right ones for the mobo) and swapped the sticks
  3. Made sure windows and drivers were all updated
  4. Updated (and downgraded back to original) BIOS
  5. ran various windows related programs (sfc /scannow, chkdsk, windows mem diagnostic)
  6. installed fresh versions of both win 10 and 11
  7. ran memtest86 many times each run had these results:
    1. (both sticks) froze on pass 2 test 7
    2. (both) passed whole thing
    3. (both) froze on pass 1 test 7
    4. (stick 1) passed whole thing
    5. (stick 2) froze on pass 1 test 7
  8. Requested replacement RAM
  9. Pc ran well for about 30 min, started installing games etc.
  10. Re-installed fresh windows 11 again
  11. chkdsk crashed
  12. tried memtest86 again, now freeze on both sticks of RAM in random places (multiple runs)
Temps for RAM and CPU are both normal
Could my mobo/cpu be bad? I feel like the chances of getting two bad RAM kits is pretty low...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

installed fresh versions of both win 10 and 11
Where did you source the installer for your OSses?

Updated (and downgraded back to original) BIOS
For the sake of relevance, can you state the BIOS version that you're on at this moment of time? Did you clear the CMOS every time you performed a BIOS downgrade/upgrade?

Inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins. I'd also ask that you do a slight anti-clockwise turn on the cooler's mounting to relieve some pressure, in case it's pushing against the CPU's IHS, causing the pins in the socket to flex.

May 19, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

installed fresh versions of both win 10 and 11
Where did you source the installer for your OSses?

Updated (and downgraded back to original) BIOS
For the sake of relevance, can you state the BIOS version that you're on at this moment of time? Did you clear the CMOS every time you performed a BIOS downgrade/upgrade?

Inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins. I'd also ask that you do a slight anti-clockwise turn on the cooler's mounting to relieve some pressure, in case it's pushing against the CPU's IHS, causing the pins in the socket to flex.
I got both win 10 and 11 from the Microsoft website (burned onto USB drives)

I'm currently on the AMI BIOS version 7E07vA2, and no I didn't clear the CMOS unfortunately. Should I update to A4 BIOS and clear CMOS and try again?

CPU pins are fine and cooler is fine.
Reset CMOS, took out GPU and ran memtest again, crashes again as well. Bad MOBO?

Last edited:
May 19, 2023
a little update: I switched out my motherboard and problems still persist. Only ssd and cpu left to switch out...

not sure how to isolate my problem. Could my new RAM be bad as well?

TRENDING THREADS