Potential Gaming Computer Rebuild Help

Jun 28, 2018
Hey Guys!

I am new to this forum and not most inclined when it comes to computers, however I do love to game!

I've been recently experiencing my computer randomly restarting when playing games (Cs:Go, Sims, WoW, etc). I don't believe this to be a heating issue however I will not rule anything out.

Long story short I bought this computer from someone already pre-built a couple of years ago and the only thing I've changed is the GPU last year to a NVIDEA GTX 1060 6b (wish I went for at least a 1070), as well as adding another 8GB of ram a week or so ago.

I am curious on your opinions on why my computer is randomly restarting and would also like some recommendations on new hardware upgrades. My motherboard supports DDR3 ram so I am curious if going into a new DDR4 motherboard is worth the extra money or should I find a new motherboard that still supports/uses DD3?

My specs via Speccy are as follow:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz
Ram: 24 Gb Dual Channel DD3@799MHz
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 (MS-7751)
Graphics: Asus VP239 (1920x1080@59Hz)
2047MB NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: 298GB Seagate ST932032 5AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
I am typing this from work so I am unsure on what exact PSU I have but I believe it has a high wattage that is more than capable for gaming.

What I would like to know is what would you recommend doing if you were me? I would like to future proof this computer and be able to game at good fps and high and/or max settings in the future. I currently don't play any Triple A titles but I would like to be in good shape to do so. I want to know if it is worth changing a lot of hardware or just trying to replace my PSU/CPU? Also is my motherboard now outdated? I am very confused on what to do and would like to just enjoy my free time playing on the computer without worrying about the random restarts.

I am also hopeful to upgrade to a 144Hz Monitor and would like my system to be capable of supporting it.

Also, my room does not have a window so I would love to have a better cooling scenario in the computer. Any advice is appreciated I would like to stay within the $750-1500 CAD window for any/all upgrades I do here. I would also like a new computer case with a tempered glass side panel.

Sorry for the rather long post and I apologize for my noob terminology, I'm looking to fix this thing asap so your input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Jun 28, 2018

Ok thanks for replying, so maybe try changing the power supply and see how that goes? Also do you have any input regarding my other hardware such as mobo and cpu?

Jun 28, 2018

Ok thank you very much for your responses, I will have to convert those prices to CAD and see how it will end up. Just out of curiosity how would you gauge my current set up as is?

If you fix the restart issue it's all based on what you do with the computer. If it does what you want then there's no reason to upgrade. It's all personal preference but your whole system is outdated minus the GTX 1060

Jun 28, 2018

Yeah I had a feeling that's where I stand. Out of curiosity is there any point in upgrading just my CPU and/or mobo or would it just make sense to go with a full rebuild with the exception of the GPU?

You'll need RAM as well. If I took,a wild guess I would say your PSU is going bad which means you should replace it as well. Your case and hard drive could swap over too but id replace the hard drive if you'll have anything important on it.

Jun 28, 2018

Ok after pricing everything in CAD my total cost with tax comes to $1850 without windows 10, so probably around $2,000 with OS. I found this on Amazon which will cost about $2100 with tax, would you recommend this machine over the one you've built out?
https://www.amazon.ca/iBUYPOWER-Slate-9200-i7-8700K-802-11AC/dp/B07BDTTQ1M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1530213211&sr=8-4&keywords=gaming%2Bcomputer&dpID=51x%252Bov9d56L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from randymarsh : "Potential Gaming Computer Rebuild"