Question Potential issues between motherboard and case?

Aug 6, 2023
Hey! I am building a PC and I ordered all the parts for it. I went to pcpartpicker and put them in there. When finished it gave me 2 notes as follows:
  • B Note: A USB 2.0 to USB 3.2 Gen 1 header adapter is required.​
  • C Note: A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter is required.​
My motherboard is a TUF Gaming B550-PLUS and my case is a Fractal Design North. I am confused of what those notes mean and what should I do to fix that when building the PC?

Hey! I am building a PC and I ordered all the parts for it. I went to pcpartpicker and put them in there. When finished it gave me 2 notes as follows:
  • B Note: A USB 2.0 to USB 3.2 Gen 1 header adapter is required.​
  • C Note: A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter is required.​
My motherboard is a TUF Gaming B550-PLUS and my case is a

. I am confused of what those notes mean and what should I do to fix that when building the PC?
That MB has:
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)(2 x Type-A)
4 x USB 2.0 port(s)(4 x Type-A)

Case has:
1xUSB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C,
2xUSB 3.0,

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Note B:

I have no idea why anyone in their right minds would want to connect a USB 2.0 header (on a motherboard) to a USB 3.2 Gen1 socket. Why restrict yourself to USB 2 speeds on the front panel? Still, it takes all sorts.

Note C:

If your case is similar to the one below, it comes with a USB-C port (top, front, right hand side). The cable inside the case should be terminated with a plug that may (or may not) fit on to your motherboard.

Top%20IO%20Fractal%20Design%20North.JPG

The photo below shows a typical USB header (inside red rectangle) found on recent motherboards for connection to an external USB-C port on a case. Just plug the lead from the case into this socket if it fits.

Asus_USB_3.1_Type-C_Motherboard_Front_Panel_Header_Connector_to_USB-C_Back_Panel_Extension_Cable_(40cm)_(3)__96647_zoom.jpg

Reactions: CountMike
Aug 6, 2023
Note B:

I have no idea why anyone in their right minds would want to connect a USB 2.0 header (on a motherboard) to a USB 3.2 Gen1 socket. Why restrict yourself to USB 2 speeds on the front panel? Still, it takes all sorts.

Note C:

If your case is similar to the one below, it comes with a USB-C port (top, front, right hand side). The cable inside the case should be terminated with a plug that may (or may not) fit on to your motherboard.

Top%20IO%20Fractal%20Design%20North.JPG

The photo below shows a typical USB header (inside red rectangle) found on recent motherboards for connection to an external USB-C port on a case. Just plug the lead from the case into this socket if it fits.

Asus_USB_3.1_Type-C_Motherboard_Front_Panel_Header_Connector_to_USB-C_Back_Panel_Extension_Cable_(40cm)_(3)__96647_zoom.jpg
So I'll just connect the wire from the case from USB type C to the motherboard. And for the 2xUSB 3.0 from the case I can only connect them to the USB 2.0 or is there another solution for that lime an adapter or something? If there's one, what kind of adapter do I need?

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
No, there should be another (larger) 19-way header on the motherboard for the two Type-A USB 3.0 ports on the computer case.
You just plug that lead in too.

Just look at the plan view for your motherboard in the user guide if you don't have the board yet. Both ports are located at the front edge of the board, if they're fitted.

The bit I didn't understand in your original posting was the reference to USB 2.0 adapters. Most modern cases do not have USB 2 ports on the front. Only old cases have USB 2.

Reactions: thekrakenisme
I'm pretty sure what's going on here is this: your case has

1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C
2 x USB 3.0

and your motherboard has

2 x USB 3.2 Gen1
2x 2 x USB 2.0

Your motherboard doesn't have the right connector for the USB-C port on your case, so PCPartPicker has decided that what you want to do is have an adapter to go USB-C -> USB3 header and then another adapter to go USB3 -> USB2 header.

Basically PartPicker comes up with a solution that has all your ports active even if they're running at lower speeds, whereas most people with that combination would probably connect the USB3 to the USB3 header and live with the inactive USB C port.

Reactions: thekrakenisme
Aug 6, 2023
I'm pretty sure what's going on here is this: your case has

1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C
2 x USB 3.0

and your motherboard has

2 x USB 3.2 Gen1
2x 2 x USB 2.0

Your motherboard doesn't have the right connector for the USB-C port on your case, so PCPartPicker has decided that what you want to do is have an adapter to go USB-C -> USB3 header and then another adapter to go USB3 -> USB2 header.

Basically PartPicker comes up with a solution that has all your ports active even if they're running at lower speeds, whereas most people with that combination would probably connect the USB3 to the USB3 header and live with the inactive USB C port.
Not that I really need that USB Type C port, but if I connect my USB3 to USB3 header as you said, am I still able to connect the USB Type C to an adapter or something like that? And what's it called, or where can I find it?

Will this do the work?

Not that I really need that USB Type C port, but if I connect my USB3 to USB3 header as you said, am I still able to connect the USB Type C to an adapter or something like that? And what's it called, or where can I find it?

Will this do the work?
That adapter requires the USB3 header you'll be using for your USB3 ports. There also don't appear to be any adapters/extender cables to allow you to connect your case front USB C to the motherboards rear panel USB C.

The above card should work, but bear in mind that it's PCIe x2 so it won't fit in your motherboard PCIe x1 slots. The second PCIe x16 slot (below the uppermost GPU slot) will take it and only runs in x4 mode anyway, you just need to be aware in case you're getting some massive wide graphics card which will cover that slot. Also the manual says that if any of the PCIe x1 slots are occupied, that second PCIe x16 slot will run in x1 mode. So if you install any other expansion card it might affect your USB C front panel speeds.