[SOLVED] Power and Current Throttling.

DRickraft

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
Hi, I don't know how to build a PC so I bought a pre-built with i7-10700 and RTX 2060 (I had to change the cooler with a water cooled one since It had the stock one...).

Anyway, the fact is that whenever I try to do a Stress Test (With Turbo Boost 3.0), it goes to max 80 degrees at 4,8 GHz and after 10 seconds it lowers it's speed at 3,6 with temps going around 50-60. I've tested it again with Intel XTU and it constantly shows "Power Throttled' and "Current Throttled". Could you guys help me figuring out the reason of it?

Motherboard: Gigabyte H410M H (Check this out, I have bad feelings about this)

PSU: Aerocool AERO White 700W

Solution
PSU I recommend changing, to a higher quality one, so that one doesn't die, and take your system with it. Motherboard should help the other, provided you keep the CPU temps in check, as well. The power and current throttled messages leads me to believe the motherboard VRM's are throttling, to save themselves. Changing to an AIO probably hurt you, VRM temp wise, as most don't move air over the VRM. What case do you have, and what is the fan configuration?

logainofhades

Titan
PSU I recommend changing, to a higher quality one, so that one doesn't die, and take your system with it. Motherboard should help the other, provided you keep the CPU temps in check, as well. The power and current throttled messages leads me to believe the motherboard VRM's are throttling, to save themselves. Changing to an AIO probably hurt you, VRM temp wise, as most don't move air over the VRM. What case do you have, and what is the fan configuration?

Solution

DRickraft

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019

Thank you for the tips!

The Case is horrible tho, I don't know where to check for fan configuration, maybe this?

20210923-180049.jpg

This CPU has a 65W TDP rating. At default settings, it will be forced to power limit throttle so it does not exceed 65W. That much power does not allow this CPU to run fully loaded at full speed indefinitely. That is why Intel XTU is showing you power throttling messages. Power throttling in this context has nothing to do with your power supply or motherboard VRMs.

If you want your CPU to run faster, you will need to go into the BIOS and increase the power limits. If you cannot find these settings in the BIOS, you can probably use Intel XTU to fix this throttling problem. I prefer to use ThrottleStop. It has more features available so you can increase your power limits and run your CPU at its rated speed.

vCNmMRD.png

DRickraft

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
This CPU has a 65W TDP rating. At default settings, it will be forced to power limit throttle so it does not exceed 65W. That much power does not allow this CPU to run fully loaded at full speed indefinitely. That is why Intel XTU is showing you power throttling messages. Power throttling in this context has nothing to do with your power supply or motherboard VRMs.

If you want your CPU to run faster, you will need to go into the BIOS and increase the power limits. If you cannot find these settings in the BIOS, you can probably use Intel XTU to fix this throttling problem. I prefer to use ThrottleStop. It has more features available so you can increase your power limits and run your CPU at its rated speed.

vCNmMRD.png

Thank you so much!!!
I would like to do that, but before doing anything I would like to know if 90-105 degrees are normal for the VRM MOS. THANKS AGAIN.