Question Power and screen issues with desktop computer :-( ?

Dec 2, 2022
Hi, I wonder if I can get a bit of a steer. My desktop computer has the following issues:

• if I put it to sleep then when I wake it up it seems to wake up but nothing shows on the screen (ie the external monitor). I can't be sure but I think that the PC isn't properly waking up, though I hear the humming, rather than the signal just not being getting through to the monitor somehow.
  • if I turn the PC off and then try to turn it on by pressing the physical power-on button, the button and light flickers for an instant and then it remains off. If I keep pressing the button quickly eventually it seems to start up but I get the same issue about (ie nothing shows on the monitor).
  • if I turn the power off at the socket, then wait a short while, then turn the socket on, then wait a short while, then turn press the button then everything loads up propery. This is the only way that I can get it to boot up Windows properly and see it on the screen.
  • on one occasion when the PC was running the screen flickered on an off but otherwise it's worked perfectly once it's booted up. This is over a month or two.
I've tried a different power/HDMI cables, and a different socket but get the same issue.

I think this doesn't look like a software issue but a hardware power issue?

Dec 2, 2022
Thanks - I guess my post was a little low on detail! The PC was bought new in March 2020. The full specs are as below.

I didn't notice the "Collect and Return" warranty to be honest. I really don't want to be without my PC for however long it takes but I guess I may be able to use this if I can't easily fix it, though I may not have registered it at the time.

1 x AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8 Core (Socket AM4) CPU​
2 x Adata XPG Gammix D10 8GB (1x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4​
1 x Adata Ultimate SU630 240GB 2.5" SATA SSD​
1 x XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8GB Graphics Card​
1 x 3 Year Collect & Return warranty​
1 x Arctic F12 Case Fan​
1 x Aero Cool Bolt Mini Case - Black​
1 x Aero Cool Cylon 700W Modular 80+ PSU​
1 x Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard​

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Aero Cool Cylon 700W Modular 80+ PSU

That is terrible quality PSU and most likely the source of all your issues. Also, moreover since proper PSU doesn't have issues waking PC from sleep. But terrible PSUs have this as an issue quite often.

So, look towards PSU replacement.
Here, i suggest good quality PSU, in 650W range (more, if you want to upgrade your GPU to beefier one). Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMx/RMi/HX/HXi/AX/AXi,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/WrNypg,yc38TW,fnjJ7P,WJM48d/

(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

For 2nd opinion, your PSU sits in Tier D,
PSU list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/
While what i'd suggest, would be anything from Tier A.

Reactions: Mr_T_Wales
Dec 2, 2022
Thanks that's very helpful.

When I Google the existing PSU it seems to come up as semi modular, though the description I got when buying said modular. If I get a fully modular PSU then should I be able to just remove the old one and replace the new one? I'm just wondering whether I'd have enough cables.

Actually, I just checked and the PSU I'm looking at (and I guess all) have the cables so I'll get this and hope for the best.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
though the description I got when buying said modular.

Modular can mean two things: semi- or fully-modular. So, in that sense, they weren't wrong. They just didn't specify the modularity.

In a similar sense, and with cars: AWD or 4WD, meaning that all wheels are powered (on a 4 wheel car). Diff is, that AWD is constantly engaged, while 4WD can be switched off to get 2WD, when needed.

then should I be able to just remove the old one and replace the new one? I'm just wondering whether I'd have enough cables.

NEVER use the same PSU cables with different PSU! Since cables pinout is different on PSU side, you can fry your components.

Also, all PSUs (semi- or fully-modular) come with their own set of power cables, compatible with the PSU they come with.

Dec 2, 2022
Thanks again! I have messed around with power cables many years ago and they were all those molar (?) ones, and it didn't seem to matter what cables were used providing they had the same ending and you had enough amps overall. It seems more complicated now but I'll do some digging online to try to reduce the chance of something terrible happening when I instal it!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
they were all those molar (?) ones

MOLEX?

peripheralindex.jpg

and it didn't seem to matter what cables were used providing they had the same ending and you had enough amps overall

This is true, but you've confused the cable end i'm talking about.

I'm talking about PSU end, the part that plugs into PSU. You're thinking about the business end, where to plug other hardware in.

To illustrate, here's a pic of my CableMod paracord sleeved power cable, namely PSU -> 4x SATA:

4Eamvs4.jpg

What you're talking about, are essentially the 4x SATA ports seen in the middle (or MOLEX ports). What i'm talking about, is the one at the right, the one that plugs into PSU. <- The one that plugs into the PSU itself, has different pinout from PSU to PSU. So, you using your existing power cable with different PSU, can kill your hardware, since the pins on PSU side are pinned differently.

It seems more complicated now

It's still the same, the business end.
Furthe reading: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Dec 2, 2022
Ah yes, it was all molex connectors.

That makes sense. It didn't occur to me that the inside set up would be different to be honest but it seems like there isn't much to go wrong so I'm up to 85% confident that I can sort this now!

Thanks again.

Reactions: Aeacus