Power Bar EMI Rating

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi all,

Need to get a serious power bar to protect a FirePro W9100 and sound system.

Not very sharp on the EMI electrical engineering side of things. One power bar I want says "up to 40db" and the other says "40-80db" filtering. Not exactly sure which one offeres the better filter (does 40-80db mean anything below 40 gets through?).

1) http://www.tripplite.com/home-computer-surge-protector-8-outlets-10-ft-cord-3240-joules-coax-ethernet-modem-fax-rj11-rj45~TLP810NET/

2) http://www.tripplite.com/surge-protector-isobar-6-outlets-6-ft-cord-3330-joule~ISOBAR6/

Thanks!

Solution

Normal voltage for any computer is even when lights dim to 40% intensity. That's what a power supply does. Convert widely varying AC voltages into rock solid and unflinching low voltage DC.

Completely acceptable wiring for any electronics is even 1930 technology. However if appliances (or a doorbell) causes lights to flicker, then a threat to household appliances does not exist. But a major threat to human life may. First find (or isolate) and then cure the reason for flickering. Since flickering was even unacceptable in the 1930s.

Filtering for EMI does nothing for low voltage...

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
Filtering changes with frequency. Citing a dB number without that frequency is how specs make claims that say nothing.

Meanwhile, your system should already contain filtering that well exceeds those filter numbers. Why buy a tiny filter to improve on robust filtering in a FirePro? Because that box is missing filtering that is standard in electronics? Solve the problem. If filtering is needed, then replace a FirePro W9100 with something that has industry standard filtering. OR, advertising and hearsay has you fearing anomalies that do not exist due to robust filtering inside the W9100.

Manufacturer is Tripplite who routinely forget relevant spec numbers or only say enough to inspire speculation. dB filter numbers vary with each frequency. Why do they forget to mention which frequency? Why do you feel additional filtering is necessary?

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Ah ok I see what you mean. My PSU is a thermaltake toughpower 1000W, looks like it can take a nasty beating. tbh the FirePro W9100 was given to me by AMD (I do research at my university) so I just want to keep it as safe as possible is all. The area where I live and my house has really old infrastructure. It's common to see the lights flicker even when the doorbell rings -_-

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Normal voltage for any computer is even when lights dim to 40% intensity. That's what a power supply does. Convert widely varying AC voltages into rock solid and unflinching low voltage DC.

Completely acceptable wiring for any electronics is even 1930 technology. However if appliances (or a doorbell) causes lights to flicker, then a threat to household appliances does not exist. But a major threat to human life may. First find (or isolate) and then cure the reason for flickering. Since flickering was even unacceptable in the 1930s.

Filtering for EMI does nothing for low voltage (flickering lights). Those are two completely different anomalies.

Solution