Question Power cable melted ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt it's either the psu or the cable. It's the outlet itself. OP is on 220v system and both sides of that are hots. For one to melt like that and not the other means there's a craptastic connection in the wall and it's not making good contact with the plug. That means the connection is arcing due to high resistance (air) or severe corrosion which is causing excessive heat.

Replace the wall outlet and the power cable as both are compromised.

In Europe, single phase power is 50Hz 230v on the hot and nothing on the neutral, there's only one hot wire. 230v 16A means that plug is supposed to be good for 3,680w.

The closest equivalent in the US would be the wild leg of three-phase delta which is 240v to ground by itself, and 60Hz (as 480v three-phase would measure 277v from any leg to ground). The other two legs measure 120v to ground and 208v across each other, as they are 120deg apart (instead of 180deg which would produce the usual household single-phase 240v on two hots)

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
After reading all of your opinions,im really scared to even buy new cable and use it because i dont know if its the psu causing or the cable or the extension...
But as far as i know,It was working fine with the other extension i had but it started sparking from the plug so my brother gave me his (the one that melted) And this happened... now i think its either psu,the cable or the house wiring and still a little doubt on extension... please sort my problem with a one final answer if someone can because I really need my pc right now 😭

View: https://i.imgur.com/Koo2IZg.jpg

Should i buy one like this?..is it a good one ?

Last edited:
if the outlet sparks when the pc is powered up i would look at the outlet as being the culprit.sounds like a bad connection that will cause a spark as well as a lot of heat thereby melting the plug.but as was mentioned earlier,that is a total crap heap for a psu.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Guys please tell me requirements of :
Power cable(amp volt etc if it is important) and quality
What should be the next PSU for my current spec
And same as the power cable,Tell me about the extension..
This time i will use a different wall socket

DSzymborski

Titan
Your PC will be run fine without the GPU. If you *must* run this junk PSU -- and you really, really should not -- there is zero justification for having the GPU installed since you have integrated graphics.

And any competent PSU comes with proper power cables.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
View: https://i.imgur.com/Ir7cgZ4.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/rx2XQHl.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/LknLFUs.jpg
I've found these cheap PSUs..i can afford them after i sell this garbage box (seller will get it back im sure)..
And i will have to get these PSUs with shipment so which one is recommended?
UPDATE: I tried using new power cable and it worked just fine,used it for a while doing my assignment (unity engine) and played some assassin's creed odyssey .. roughly used it for 2 hours and everything was fine,the cable was cool and the same extension but with different socket(bigger one) and everything just seems to be working fine now
But as i will get rid of exams , I'd go for a new psu asap..
So was it just an old cable's death time or a bad psu caused it's death? Or a bad extension socket that melted and caused pc to turn off?..im curious to know ...

Last edited:

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Where did you find these very old units. Are you shopping in Jurassic Park?
Lol that's a local market place where people sell used stuff (or new)
Tell me some specific PSUs to look for .. I'll try to get them

What about this?
New:
Redragon RGPS 500W Gaming PC Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze (GC-PS001)
But that's too expensive...

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Smt like Adata/XPG Pylon, MSI MAG A-BN, Thermaltake Smart BM2, Bifenix Formula Bronze, NZXT C Bronze, Corsair CX-M 2015/2021, Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2, Asus TUF Gaming Bronze.
I searched for these PSUs and they are soo expensive on the online market and im sure they will be same on offline market..
Found this as well..how about this one?
It is cheap and has 24pin 4pin and 8 pin connector as well

DSzymborski

Titan
The problem is you want a cheap PSU that isn't junk. All these are very entry-level, group-regulated, very old PSUs (some haven't been manufactured in a decade), so junk.

You need to take the GPU out of the machine until you can get an *actual* budget quality PSU. SID's list are the minimum, decent quality budget offerings, to be using any GPU that requires supplementary power unless you don't care about the GPU.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
The problem is you want a cheap PSU that isn't junk. All these are very entry-level, group-regulated, very old PSUs (some haven't been manufactured in a decade), so junk.

You need to take the GPU out of the machine until you can get an *actual* budget quality PSU. SID's list are the minimum, decent quality budget offerings, to be using any GPU that requires supplementary power unless you don't care about the GPU.
You mean i should never use GPU at again😂..
Its really hard here to get those decent PSUs...
The person i bought this gpu said this isn't the psu case because he was using a psu less than this power station and was still good for years...idk man im getting a feeling of selling this entire pc and get a laptop instead ...tired of this
The person i bought the gpu ,used this gpu with this PSU for about 2 years without any problem:
View: https://i.imgur.com/vdSbsjT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan
People also successfully drunk drive. It doesn't mean it is safe or prudent. We're going to give you advice that is safe and prudent.

(And, in any case, this poor quality PSU is light years better than your current one)

You seem to mainly want people to give you answers you want to hear, so there' s really no more help I can provide other than wishing you well.

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
No,i have already agreed that this psu really needs to be changed..but as i have budget to work with,i will change it asap
Now only psu i can change by adding some budget is Corsair CX 500...Is that good enough for rx 570 and i7 3770?

DSzymborski

Titan
No,i have already agreed that this psu really needs to be changed..but as i have budget to work with,i will change it asap
Now only psu i can change by adding some budget is Corsair CX 500...Is that good enough for rx 570 and i7 3770?

No. The CX 500 hasn't been made in a decade. A mediocre PSU that is a decade old is a no go. Only the CX PSUs with black-and-white labels, the ones they started making in 2014, are good budget PSUs. And even if we pretend the green-label ones were good, they're a decade old now.

Unfortunately, you're hamstrung by your decision to get an RX 570. You had no business buying a GPU that required supplementary power unless your PSU situation had been taken care of. This was like buying a sports car but not having enough money for the car insurance; if you don't have enough money for the insurance, you don't really have enough for the car. You could easily have gotten a GTX 1050 Ti or a GT 1030 or a GT 750 Ti that would have been safer on lower quality PSUs like the ones you're looking to buy. But you didn't.

You can run the GPU on anything you like, it's your money and your risk. But running on ancient PSUs of middling-at-best quality maximizes the chances that your RX 570 (and the rest of your PC) does not live very long. If you want to do something that isn't a good idea, nobody here is going to stop you. But we're going to give you good advice, just like the doctor who will advise you against eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning and the HVAC technician who tells you to change the air filter in your furnace regularly.

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
No. The CX 500 hasn't been made in a decade. A mediocre PSU that is a decade old is a no go. Only the CX PSUs with black-and-white labels, the ones they started making in 2014, are good budget PSUs. And even if we pretend the green-label ones were good, they're a decade old now.

Unfortunately, you're hamstrung by your decision to get an RX 570. You had no business buying a GPU that required supplementary power unless your PSU situation had been taken care of. This was like buying a sports car but not having enough money for the car insurance; if you don't have enough money for the insurance, you don't really have enough for the car. You could easily have gotten a GTX 1050 Ti or a GT 1030 or a GT 750 Ti that would have been safer on lower quality PSUs like the ones you're looking to buy. But you didn't.

You can run the GPU on anything you like, it's your money and your risk. But running on ancient PSUs of middling-at-best quality maximizes the chances that your RX 570 (and the rest of your PC) does not live very long. If you want to do something that isn't a good idea, nobody here is going to stop you. But we're going to give you good advice, just like the doctor who will advise you against eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning and the HVAC technician who tells you to change the air filter in your furnace regularly.
Its because i had a gtx 1050 and i spent nearly 4 5 years with it but it was really tired and the 2gb vram was really limiting... talking about the 1050 ti? Lol its double the price of rx 570 (and rx 580 8gb model as well) ...so that's why i bought it...but now after all this and hearing all your advises,i will have forcefully sell this whole system and get a laptop ..but im sure It'll be miles weaker ...
I think now its time to end this thread and say good bye..
I appreciate everyone's time and effort to help me with sincerity! I really appreciate it...thank you guys<3 ...

Why are you worried about a PSU possibly blowing up an $80 PC? I mean you've had a long string of desktops in that price range so why worry about this one, or the $50 RX570 4GB in it? I guess I could understand... if you were in Russia + it's now worth a whole lot more than it was. Otherwise you are only risking blowing up something worth less than the cost of a good PSU. I'm still rocking a couple of 16yo Truepower Trios--they weren't the greatest PSU even back then but were made by Seasonic.

And I am confused on how a used laptop would be any better than a desktop running on IGP, unless it was a really expensive one.

You are probably going to burn another kettle lead unless you replace that extension cord or at least the end on it. That's probably what burned the first lead and now it's even worse as it has been heat damaged.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Why are you worried about a PSU possibly blowing up an $80 PC? I mean you've had a long string of desktops in that price range so why worry about this one, or the $50 RX570 4GB in it? I guess I could understand... if you were in Russia + it's now worth a whole lot more than it was. Otherwise you are only risking blowing up something worth less than the cost of a good PSU. I'm still rocking a couple of 16yo Truepower Trios--they weren't the greatest PSU even back then but were made by Seasonic.

And I am confused on how a used laptop would be any better than a desktop running on IGP, unless it was a really expensive one.

You are probably going to burn another kettle lead unless you replace that extension cord or at least the end on it. That's probably what burned the first lead and now it's even worse as it has been heat damaged.
I've replaced extension cord and power cable for now but will be changing psu or buying a laptop that is somewhat capable..

At least the PSU is an investment you could move into your next desktop. But those prices in India are terrible, especially considering large reputable manufacturers like Delta actually make PSUs there. I bought the 550w Antecs brand new for US$60 ea in 2007.

And 48°c! That Enermax derates to 50% output at 47.5°c so that seller was using your GPU on a PSU that could supply only 228w on 12v at that temperature, which sounds really marginal for a 150w GPU. Sadly, other PSU manufacturers aren't as forthcoming with their high temperature specs.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
At least the PSU is an investment you could move into your next desktop. But those prices in India are terrible, especially considering large reputable manufacturers like Delta actually make PSUs there. I bought the 550w Antecs brand new for US$60 ea in 2007.

And 48°c! That Enermax derates to 50% output at 47.5°c so that seller was using your GPU on a PSU that could supply only 228w on 12v at that temperature, which sounds really marginal for a 150w GPU. Sadly, other PSU manufacturers aren't as forthcoming with their high temperature specs.
Hey? My friend is using this psu with his rx 580 4gb 8 pin model ..(i5 -11400)
He's been using this since 3 years now but i see its a well rated 80+ bronze psu but 380 watts...
I see Its not dependent on the wattage but still..its a 580 which uses more power than 570 but still he's good with it..do guys consider if i should buy this or coolermaster rs 500
Or any other cheap but better option?
Thanks

View: https://i.imgur.com/r8PzriO.jpg

There's a seller selling these in almost cheap prices.. which one to consider?
View: https://i.imgur.com/NRpecwq.jpg

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Hey? My friend is using this psu with his rx 580 4gb 8 pin model ..(i5 -11400)
He's been using this since 3 years now but i see its a well rated 80+ bronze psu but 380 watts...
I see Its not dependent on the wattage but still..its a 580 which uses more power than 570 but still he's good with it..do guys consider if i should buy this or coolermaster rs 500
Or any other cheap but better option?
Thanks

View: https://i.imgur.com/r8PzriO.jpg

There's a seller selling these in almost cheap prices.. which one to consider?
View: https://i.imgur.com/NRpecwq.jpg

The top ones are bad. Your friend is not using a good PSU. 80+ is efficiency, not quality, and as can be seen by the voltage chart, it's only 380W in the pre-2001 sense. In anything after Pentium III, it's a cheap, group-regulated PSU. Neither is the Coolermaster RS-500

The Corsair CX 550 and the Cooler Master MWE Gold aren't group-regulated and they're made in the last decade, which is a pretty big deal. Even the PSUs on the list that are marginally acceptable budget options are only marginally aceeptable budget options when they're new, not when they're 10-15 years old.