Question Power cable unplugged while PC was running, now code 00

Jan 25, 2021
Hello, the power cable to my PC was unplugged while it was still running. Upon attempting a reboot, the motherboard shows error code 00.

Hardware (built summer 2015):
Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard
Intel 5820k
Nvidia GTX 980ti
EVGA supernova 850 G2 PSU

Details/symptoms:
  • When powering on, CPU fans will spin for ~2 seconds, then stop and not attempt to start again
  • Chassis fans will not spin (noctuas), but LED strips connected to chassis fan headers do power on
  • The HDDs seem to get power and continue to spin
  • The CPU cooler pump (corsair H110i) does run
  • Gpu fans periodically wiggle, seeming to attempt to spin
  • After about 15 seconds, the CPU_LED flashes and the VGA_LED illuminates, remaining on for about 20 seconds, then off for 20s, repeating
I removed the PSU, did the paperclip short and tested the pinouts with a multimeter, and they all seemed to be functioning properly.

I removed 7 sticks of RAM, leaving one stick in channel A1.

Any idea which component could have been damaged by the removal of the power cord? I would have hoped that the PSU would have taken the hit over other components, but it seems to be working alright. What steps can I take to identify the faulty component and/or resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Jan 25, 2021
It's generally a good thing to try when having trouble with a boot after a sudden power-off situation. This happens more often than I would like as I am an owner of cats.
I cleared CMOS, and now am running into error code D6. The gpu fans are doing the same thing where they kind of wiggle but do not spin. The VGA_LED is lit consistently now as well, as is BOOT_DEVICE_LED

I see D6 is often a GPU related issue, any thoughts on what could be causing it? I tried swapping the power cables to the other slots in the PSU, but no difference

Jan 25, 2021
Unfortunately I do not. I don't think the GPU would have been sufficiently jostled, and I had earlier removed and re-installed it so it should be properly connected.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunately I do not. I don't think the GPU would have been sufficiently jostled, and I had earlier removed and re-installed it so it should be properly connected.

One of the downsides of no integrated graphics on this CPU!

I'd definitely dig into the machine and reseat everything. And make sure the CMOS reset took. Because after that, you're likely in the stage that requires some part swapping. Are you able to at least get it to POST? Or is it a complete no-signal situation?

Jan 25, 2021
One of the downsides of no integrated graphics on this CPU!

I'd definitely dig into the machine and reseat everything. And make sure the CMOS reset took. Because after that, you're likely in the stage that requires some part swapping. Are you able to at least get it to POST? Or is it a complete no-signal situation?
It is a complete no signal situation.

Regarding the CMOS reset, I used the CLR_CMOS button on my motherboard, and then later also removed the battery from the motherboard for maybe 10 minutes and tried again, same result. Is there anything else I can try in that regard, and how might I know that the reset actually took?

Finally, I'm considering getting something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphic-Interface-GV-N710D5-1GL/dp/B083DKXF3P/

The idea would be to swap that in to confirm that the GPU is the issue, but I can't actually tell if the linked card would be compatible with my system. Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Jan 25, 2021
Update: received new PSU, encounter the same error, so it does not appear to be related (or at least isolated) to the PSU.

New test GPU to arrive tomorrow, will update if any developments.

Jan 25, 2021
Update: interesting development....with the new GPU (linked above), I still got error code D6 when it was slotted into PCIE slot 1. However, when I ran it in the 2nd slot, it worked fine!

Unfortunately, this still leaves me with the question of whether my GPU is faulty or not...

A couple questions for someone more knowledgeable than I on this topic:
  1. Any thoughts on why this new GPU would not function in the 1st PCIE slot, but only the 2nd? Would this indicate an issue with the motherboard perhaps, or is it to he expected for some reason?
  2. Any thoughts on why my 980 Ti would NOT run in either slot? This seems to indicate an issue with the GPU, but is there a world in which the GPU is fine and is just encountering an issue due to potential motherboard problems as outlined above?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.