[SOLVED] Power connection for an Asus Z590-A Prime

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hello,
Couldn't resist the sweet deal on a 10900KF for $329.99 at microcenter. So grabbed that and an Asus Z590 A Prime. I never care about the coming 11900k. Especially I am not liking the idea of lower core count that a previous gen. Anyway.
I removed my 7700k and Asus Z270 Maximus IX Hero and started installing the new components.
While I was building the system, I discovered to my surprise it has 2 CPU power connections (the usual 8 pin power connecter AND a 4 pin one). I got worried at that point that it would not post and would not work without that additional 4 pin CPU power. I just installed the 8 pin power and left the 4 pin unconnected.
Finished building, prayed, and pushed the case on button. To my surprise it worked fine. Configured the BIOS for XMP and changed Asus MCE to on (whatever the name of the setting and no CRAZY overclocks). Installed Windows and run some games and some 3DMark and Cinebench and it's very stable.

Should I be concerned to not have that 4 pin connector connected?

I am using Corsair RM750 power supply that does not come with a 4 pin CPU cable.

Do I need another more recent model power supply? Or I am ok?
Not planning to do any significant overclock on this CPU hoenstly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks. But you say "...large video card current...".
How is that? I suppose these 2 make the CPU circuit. Still GPU can pull from it?
Unless you have a graphics card that draws more power through the PCI-E slot than specifications allow it is a non-issue.

Likewise, it wont be a problem with normal overclocking, especially if you do not touch voltages. The extra 4-pin power connector is there for "extreme" overclocking and playground willy waving.!
"...large video card current...".
How is that? I suppose these 2 make the CPU circuit. Still GPU can pull from it?
...connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard.
to the motherboard, not just the actual CPU itself.

my original post is a quote directly from a Gigabyte Z590 product description about it's compatibility & overclocking and it's 2nd 8pin "CPU" port.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Thanks. But you say "...large video card current...".
Unless you have a graphics card that draws more power through the PCI-E slot than specifications allow it is a non-issue.

Likewise, it wont be a problem with normal overclocking, especially if you do not touch voltages. The extra 4-pin power connector is there for "extreme" overclocking and playground willy waving.!

Solution