power connection to new Asus gtx 980

tjrpt6

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Hello Folks, I just received in a new 20th anniv. Asus gtx980 card. the nice wiring they included 2X 8pin connectors won't plug into the Corsair HX850i PSU. Any Ideas on how to properly power it. also a 4 pin Aux power connector on the card side. not sure which plug goes in here. yes, I am an amateur and appreciate any help

Solution
The correct cables will be labeled 'pcie' or 'gpu', not anything else. One end will be an 8pin connector that fits in one of the 4 slots above the 20+4 pin motherboard wires, the other end is a 6+2pin connector that goes into the gpu. The gtx980 20th is a possible 375w card, requires 2x of the 6+2pin connectors. Not sure where you are seeing an additional 4pin connector, only thing I could find was 2x 8pin (6+2).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The correct cables will be labeled 'pcie' or 'gpu', not anything else. One end will be an 8pin connector that fits in one of the 4 slots above the 20+4 pin motherboard wires, the other end is a 6+2pin connector that goes into the gpu. The gtx980 20th is a possible 375w card, requires 2x of the 6+2pin connectors. Not sure where you are seeing an additional 4pin connector, only thing I could find was 2x 8pin (6+2).

Solution

tjrpt6

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Thank you for helping. The GPU does have two 8 pin connectors, I image they both require to be connected. the plug on the side of the card (4pin) looks like an older hard drive connection. the corsair kit came with a matching cable, but the odd shaped locking clips don't allow it to engage fully. the opposite end is 6 pin (type 3). I would imagine it to be for older power supply hookup and doesn't require connection. Asus did not include a cable for this. but I am not sure. So what I am gathering is that the Corsair uses their own connector types and the Asus supplied PCIE just dont' match. Asus cables are really nice wires. the only way to use them would be to use corsair cable out of the PSU, then attach the asus cable to the corsair cable. An unwanted connection, so Hummm. So I guess now the extra 4 pin connections would need solved to proceed. thanks, any additional thought appreciated. tim

tjrpt6

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Thank you for you help and concern. yes, the corsair cables, do fit. but the supplied asus cables are desireable. Being the Corsair PSU uses a special connection at the PSU, I won't be able to use the supplied higher quality asus supplied cables. Still hunting out the 4 pin type 3 connection on the side of the GPU, not sure if that's some older type connection or what, the documentation calls it an Auxillary connection only. Thank you for your ideas and thoughts, tim

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
More than likely that is not a power port but a diagnostic port used by Asus when they test RMA's. The reason Asus and other gpu companies add wires is to fit different psus. There are cheaper psus that have high wattage like 750w or 850w, but only have a 6pin and a 6+2 pin, so those included wires are meant to adapt existing wiring to fit the gpu. On no way, shape or form are they to be plugged directly into the psu. Each psu is wired different. It's the reason for specific pins, some are square, some 'D' shaped. On one psu, the 'D' could be a ground, and on another it could be a 12v.

On quality psu's, all of the power wires are the same, 18 Guage, its all that is needed. What you are thinking is quality wires from Asus, really isn't, its the same as the psu's, its just better looking to you.

tjrpt6

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Thank you Sir. I am just being extra cautious. the card is a good one. I did find Corsair custom sleeved wire kit (colored) for a nice looking build. they are made for my Hx850I PSU. So, I will b ok. just exceeded 4K on parts so I want things to go well. My first build, so, being careful. I have at one time or another changed all parts to my computer except Mobo, so doing the entire thing is overwhelming. taking my time. this one is asus x99 deluxe, intel I7 5930, corsair dominator platinum 64 ddr4. cooler etc. once again, thank you!!!((