Power Consumption Solved: Magnetic Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Well with their current size and more functions with the processors and memory, they'd make pretty mean server chips.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
is it me or are we slowly phasing out the current technologies?

magnetic processors replacing today's processors, graphene replacing silicone, phase change memory replacing flash....

is it really that good to replace everything? im having trouble keeping up with all this

[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]is it me or are we slowly phasing out the current technologies?magnetic processors replacing today's processors, graphene replacing silicone, phase change memory replacing flash....is it really that good to replace everything? im having trouble keeping up with all this[/citation]

What I see is simple concepts like IC's being flung around in one million different tech ideas. Basically, everyone will have their own way of doing one simple thing. This will be too economically straining on the world.

[citation][nom]Cuecuemore[/nom]Just keep that electromagnet well clear of your HDD(s) o_O[/citation]

you do know your hdd has the biggest most powerful magnet inside it compared to every other component in the system hell more powerful then most speaker magnets for short range?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Yup it's good to dream, and it's great to keep working towards them and making them a reality. It's also good not to bee too skeptical about new tech. They may sound impractical now, but hey, 200 years ago if you told anyone about a transistor the size of a large bacterium, you'd be put in a mad-house.
Actually even 70 years ago it wasn't really thought possible.

Ultra low power processors may be the future to a sustainable economy...imagine comps running off solar panels, and powering Crysis 8 maxed out in full 4D? :D

G

"All right, let's be optimistic here: it's not going to entirely wipe power-hungry processors and memory off the charts anytime soon."

Um, is it just me or does this first (bolded) sentence make absolutely no sense? I think you meant realistic and not optimistic?

Power-hungry carries a hugely negative connotation and also the article implies that you are "dream"ing about this newer technology, so I cannot think of any other explanation.

Needless to say, whether I have somehow misinterpreted your meaning or not, it clearly looks like a mistake right now.

I always think about who's gonna be the one to throw away every convention we have, and start from the ground up. Like setting up an R&D dept that pretends to not know sockets, slots, cpu's, gpu's, atx, m-atx, x86, x64, ARM exists at all. Start out with specific goals for size, computational power, and power consumption. Pretty hard i bet but i can dream. :)

G

These ideas are really nothing new, quantum computing and other similar ideas have been floated around before. Generally these types of processors do one useless task incredibly fast and have a whole lot of trouble doing anything else at any speed. Transistors aren't so bad for now, money would be better spent switching away from silicon in order to make the next leap. Then again the number of FLOPS your machine is capable of is really more than enough for the average Joe, just tell your software manufacturer to quit using so many of them to do simple tasks :)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Cuecuemore[/nom]Just keep that electromagnet well clear of your HDD(s) o_O[/citation]

forgot to say this, it takes an industrial car magnet at around 200mT (millitesla) and stronger to wipe a HDD. Even bar magnets cant do much to it, let alone these magnetic processors.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]is it me or are we slowly phasing out the current technologies?magnetic processors replacing today's processors, graphene replacing silicone, phase change memory replacing flash....is it really that good to replace everything? im having trouble keeping up with all this[/citation]

graphene replacing silicone - graphene in labs can handle 50ghz on air cooling. and are capable of running at speeds that are impossible (faster than light... when i say faster than light i dont mean it works, it doesnt, but it can handle that kind of speed.) without to extreme of cooling measures.

phase change memory replacing flash - its faster than what we currently have, and is a step in the right direction.

magnetic processors replacing today's processors - they wont, ever... for a real computer, they will never replace it. however, on a server, on other things that need a processor but don't need an emencly powerful one this would use less power than most things use while its turned completely off (but still plugged in)

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]forgot to say this, it takes an industrial car magnet at around 200mT (millitesla) and stronger to wipe a HDD. Even bar magnets cant do much to it, let alone these magnetic processors.[/citation]

I think the point was that the HDD would screw up the proc, not the other way around

G

none of this is going to happen. research like this has always been happening, adoption of it rarely occurs

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]...graphene replacing silicone...[/citation]
Tetraethoxysilane resins? What's that got to do with ICs? Did you mean silicon?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]tommysch[/nom]Magnet science to the rescue!!! The good researchers at 4chan thought about that long ago.[/citation]
But how do they work ? And why can't I hold all of them... Hnnnnnngggggg....

Status
Not open for further replies.