Power limit on RX480

Solution
The power limit adjustment in AMD Wattman or MSI Afterburner should be thought of as a theoretical maximum power. Ergo, 0% on the slider means it will never exceed the manufacturers baseline maximum voltage. At 25%, it can scale up to 125% of the baseline maximum voltage, so on and so forth.

Exactly what algorithm determines how much power to use, and when, is not something I've found. However it's unlikely the driver would ever decide to crank up the voltage all the way to 150% of baseline, even if you allowed it with your overclocking software. Even then, should it ever decide to use 150%, it would be under only the most demanding circumstances and likely for an extremely short amount of time.

Personally, for my Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB...

fourseven

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
probably it could cut the lifespan of your card or permanently damage it, I using rx 480 8gb from Sapphire and I only increasing about 10%~30% max and it should be enough depend on the game.

mgalyan

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
The power limit adjustment in AMD Wattman or MSI Afterburner should be thought of as a theoretical maximum power. Ergo, 0% on the slider means it will never exceed the manufacturers baseline maximum voltage. At 25%, it can scale up to 125% of the baseline maximum voltage, so on and so forth.

Exactly what algorithm determines how much power to use, and when, is not something I've found. However it's unlikely the driver would ever decide to crank up the voltage all the way to 150% of baseline, even if you allowed it with your overclocking software. Even then, should it ever decide to use 150%, it would be under only the most demanding circumstances and likely for an extremely short amount of time.

Personally, for my Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX480, I set my limit to 50%, and max clock to 1330mhz. Stock ram frequencies. Rock solid 24/7. As always, your results will vary, but with a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner, my GPU core temperatures never exceed 76 degrees Celsius.

Solution