Question Power loss

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
So recently i have been experiencing power loss while playing video games or power intensive tasks. At first i thought it was my PSU so i replaced that with a much bigger one, that did not solve the issue, i then thought it might have been the power strip i was using to plug my PC into, Replaced that with one that could handle more power and still the problem stayed. I have checked to see if malware is the problem and it is not. The most common time for it to lose power is when i am playing video games or (Ironically) Restarting the computer, it will always shut off halfway through the restarting process and not turn back on by itself.
At this point i'm out of ideas of what it could be, this is only a recent occurrence for me and had never happened before 2 weeks ago. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
What are your full specs (including what the old and new power supplies are).
What antivirus have you used to scan for malware? Those such as Windows Defender are typically considered to be pretty weak.
full system spec? include make an model of the psu

My previous PSU was a 500w EVGA Standard

My current PSU is a 850w EVGA Bronze Semi-Modular

I used Malwarebytes for my security stuff.

I used speccy for all of this:

Operating System:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU:
AMD FX-6300
Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM:
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard:
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2)

Graphics:
(Monitor) HP 24m (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Undefined)

Storage:
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00D8PB0 ATA Device (SATA )
238GB ADATA SU800 ATA Device (SATA (SSD)

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Virus scan with something other than Windows defender, from what I can tell....

You may also want to move the system to another circuit--protected by a different breaker--to see if your issue is related to the power mains quality.

I scan with malwarebytes, and I highly doubt it would be something to do with the power mains quality since the house we are living in is barely a year old.

Is it possible that a malfunctioning part in my computer is somehow shorting out the PSU?

I'm not thinking of the quality of the house wiring, itself. I'm considering what else may be on the same branch circuit which could be causing voltage drops--something that no surge suppressing strip can do anything about.

The pattern that you have described points more toward an issue with power--either mains, or the PSU, and you have already replaced the PSU.

Outside of that, assuring that the power mains is not causing the issue you are having, is a zero-cost action.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
I'm not thinking of the quality of the house wiring, itself. I'm considering what else may be on the same branch circuit which could be causing voltage drops--something that no surge suppressing strip can do anything about.

The pattern that you have described points more toward an issue with power--either mains, or the PSU, and you have already replaced the PSU.

Outside of that, assuring that the power mains is not causing the issue you are having, is a zero-cost action.
I changed which breaker it would be under, it still has the same problem, I still believe it to be a part that is causing the problem, maybe motherboard, or some part that is partially broken and shorting out the PSU.

Sorry, I thought I had said more in my first reply than I actually had.
Firstly, you should make sure that the BIOS is fully up to date, and that you have the newest drivers for it installed in Windows. You should be able to find the BIOS version within the BIOS, and compare this with the newest version on the manufacturers website for you motherboard to see if yours needs updating. You can also check driver versions from within Windows and compare them to the newest versions available.
You should also check to make sure that the GPU drivers have the newest version installed. If you have access to one, you could also try a different GPU to see if it works. If you do this, be sure to uninstall the 1060's drivers, then install the relevant ones.
You could run Memtest86 to make sure your RAM is working as should too.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Sorry, I thought I had said more in my first reply than I actually had.
Firstly, you should make sure that the BIOS is fully up to date, and that you have the newest drivers for it installed in Windows. You should be able to find the BIOS version within the BIOS, and compare this with the newest version on the manufacturers website for you motherboard to see if yours needs updating. You can also check driver versions from within Windows and compare them to the newest versions available.
You should also check to make sure that the GPU drivers have the newest version installed. If you have access to one, you could also try a different GPU to see if it works. If you do this, be sure to uninstall the 1060's drivers, then install the relevant ones.
You could run Memtest86 to make sure your RAM is working as should too.
My BIOS is up to date and RAM is working, i have a spare GTX 750 TI and it has the same problem.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Old system, check cpu/motherboard temp? could be motherboard failing

I don't know how old you would classify as old but the Motherboard, CPU, HDD and RAM is all about 4 years old, the GPU is about 2 years old and the SSD about 2 months and the PSU about a week at most. I think there is a high possibility that it is one of the parts since my PC never really had any good airflow, the case itself is very restricting and in the past i have always run the system to close to its maximum.

Oh dear. You could grill a steak on that if you wanted. As said above, you really need a CPU cleanup. Unplug the cable from the PSU, then remove the heatsink from the CPU and remove all thermal paste. Now, reapply some new thermal paste. Go for some good brand stuff. Cooler master is typically about the same as pre-applied. A brand such as Arctic Silver will outperform pre-applied.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Medium rare for me, please.
Oh dear. You could grill a steak on that if you wanted. As said above, you really need a CPU cleanup. Unplug the cable from the PSU, then remove the heatsink from the CPU and remove all thermal paste. Now, reapply some new thermal paste. Go for some good brand stuff. Cooler master is typically about the same as pre-applied. A brand such as Arctic Silver will outperform pre-applied.
I just went and got some arctic silver up at my local PC repair store and cleaned it all off and stuff and now its running a max of 70c, Thx guys

Reactions: AllanGH

TRENDING THREADS