Question Power On By PS/2 Keyboard

Dave McKeen

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Are there motherboards out there whose BIOS can be configured to start up the PC by pressing Ctrl+esc on a PS/2 keyboard?

In earlier builds I used Asus motherboards that would accept PS/2 keyboards. This allowed me to choose in the UEFI BIOS: [Advanced] > [APM Configuration] > [Power On By PS/2 Keyboard]. I’ve been accustomed to using Ctrl-Esc to start up my PCs. Very convenient.

But when I built my current PC the motherboard, an Asus Maximus X Hero, had no PS/2 connector. Very inconvenient! Now I’m getting together a list for a new build. I’ve tentatively chosen an MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4. It has a PS/2 connector. Yay! But in the board’s BIOS manual there’s no “APM Configuration” under “Advanced”. Boo. ☹ (MSI Support confirms no Power On from PS/2 keyboard.)

Thanks!

Dave McKeen

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the fast response! My last PC build that could do this was based on an Asus Maximus VII Hero, 2014 vintage. Looks like even though there are PS/2 connectors on some motherboards today, they don't have this feature in Advanced Power Management (APM) anymore. <sigh>

LOL! I have an AONE switch on my table to start up my current PC! Looks like I'll have to find something else for the new build. :)
i saw this thing when it was new, but my pc is hidden in closet and i can go with wireless options only :/ (living room enviroment xD) wake on lan from phone was before ive got into smart home craze xD
im using shelly switch hooked to power and reset buttons, pretty much what you have, just instead of physical buttons its wireless controlled