[SOLVED] Power options dont work

Oct 19, 2019
Not sure if this is the right place to post apologies if not. I built a friend a PC yesterday and windows wouldn't install just stayed on the windows logo screen when booting from the USB with windows 10 creation tool on figured out it was an issue with the BIOS so updated it and installed ok but now I'm facing more problems.

Problem 1: When the computer is on if you click the start button and click shut down/sleep/restart nothing happens the monitor turns off but the pc stays on doesn't turn off/restart/sleep as the fans keep spinning and lights stay on the only way to turn it off is to hold the power button down on the case.

Problem 1.5: Whenever the computer needs to restart the screen freezes but the computer seems to carry on I think for example when I had to update the bios it needed to restart into flash mode it froze turnt it off and on and it went into flash mode, then again when flashing the bios it got to 100% then froze had to turn it off and on bios was then updated when I checked and again when installing windows finished installing needed to restart froze had to turn it off and on then booted into the account setup etc.

Problem 2: The 1tb HDD isn't showing up in windows I had this problem before but can't remember how to fix it

Problem 3: Installed audio drivers but plugging generic earphones (like Samsung ones that come with a phone) into any of the ports for them they aren't recognised by windows and no sound is played I'm going to test a pair of speakers see if they work but they prefer using earphones.

Parts are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI B360M Gaming Plus
CPU: I5 9400
GPU: GTX 1660Ti 6GB
RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8gb DDR4 2400MHz
Drives: 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD & 120GB Kingston A400 SSD

Any help would be much appreciated

Solution
Brand new PC shouldn't have any problems. You might have a bad motherboard.

Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI website. And then save the BIOS file into the USB flash drive. Updating BIOS:
  1. Press Del key to enter the BIOS Setup during POST.
  2. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.
  3. Select the M-FLASH tab and click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash mode.
  4. Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.
  5. After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot automatically.

Page 18 of manual. PC should have auto restarted after the bios update. Fact yours doesn't is a...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Brand new PC shouldn't have any problems. You might have a bad motherboard.

Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI website. And then save the BIOS file into the USB flash drive. Updating BIOS:
  1. Press Del key to enter the BIOS Setup during POST.
  2. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.
  3. Select the M-FLASH tab and click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash mode.
  4. Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.
  5. After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot automatically.

Page 18 of manual. PC should have auto restarted after the bios update. Fact yours doesn't is a problem.

Issue 1 could be a power setting in bios. Did you reset the bios to defaults after flashing bios? Usually go in there after 1st startup and set

Resetting BIOS You might need to restore the default BIOS setting to solve certain problems. There are several ways to reset BIOS: y
Go to BIOS and press F6 to load optimized defaults.

Issue 1.5 - Reset issue is the same as above, it sounds like WIndows can't shutdown PC at all, the signals its sending aren't being followed by motherboard so it stays on whenever windows want to stop.

Issue 2 - have you looked in disk management? Is there partitions on the drive?

Issue 3: Did you run MSI Live update 6 on motherboard to make sure you had latest drivers? Its on the utility page below:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-GAMING-PLUS#down-driver&Win10 64

Last edited:
Solution