Power outage resulting in pc damage

Lukeus699

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
So I just bought a surge protector plug. But!! Before I managed to plug my pc into it we had a power cut. My brother was gaming on the pc at the time and the power went off for a second or two before coming back on. The pc then came on and the bios appeared detecting the surge.

What is the chances of my pc being damaged.

Are my motherboard and power supply able to protect my components.
Xfx 650w xtr gold
Asus z97 pro gamer

Kevbur123

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
If everything has been ok and is still working i would not worry. How unlucky can you be to have a surge just before you plug your surge protector in is this a common issue were you live.

Lukeus699

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
When the pc turned on the HD drive now makes a bit of a click sound when it boots up /turns off. But I'm more concerned of the more expensive components. I haven't evaluated the pc to say everything is okay for sure.

It is a quite a low end estate so the power isn't reliable, the power may dip off from time to time every other week- month. I just hope my pc isn't damaged :(

If your hard drive is clicking from a power outage it is damaged.

The other components you will just have to test. If hard drive is shot you can download a Linux live CD and boot from that to test the rest of your parts.

If the power is that bad I would suggest a UPS which does more to condition the power and will even keep the PC on for those 5 minute or less outages.

Lukeus699

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016

When I power on the pc it makes a sudden click, and during the pc being on it just kinda makes a high pitch. When I power the system down it buzzes up and clicks way before anything else shuts down.

Cpu Z is displaying my voltage seems to be okay, I keep hearing a very faint zapping sound tho, possibly the psu