Question Power Reporting Deviation

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Anyone notice this metric in HWiNFO64?

I just swapped my 5700 XT for a 6800 XT and "Power Reporting Deviation (Accuracy)" was not a metric that ever appeared when I had the 5700 XT, or maybe I never noticed it. Looks interesting.

Current 90% | Lowest 80 % | Highest 439.2% | Average 148.3%

any time the percentage drops below 90% it turns Red

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not really related to GPU, its more the CPU/Motherboard

you can also mostly ignore it

As stated before, this metric is only valid during a relatively stable near-full-load condition. That is due to the typical measurement accuracy of the VRM controller telemetry, and also due to the highly advanced and fast power management on Ryzen CPUs, that not only result in extremely low idle, but also in extremely rapidly changing power consumption.

its normal for 2nd figure to be red, mine is everyday
current: 151.6
Lowest: 85.1
Max: 197.6
Avg: 154.5

I looked it up first time I saw the red :)

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Its not really related to GPU, its more the CPU/Motherboard

you can also mostly ignore it

its normal for 2nd figure to be red, mine is everyday
current: 151.6
Lowest: 85.1
Max: 197.6
Avg: 154.5

I looked it up first time I saw the red :)
Thank you. Strange that its reported in the GPU column, but as long as I can ignore it I am good.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show us a screenshot of HWINFO showing its under GPU because every indication I find shows it as CPU
that is where it shows on my version
vrsS0vr.jpg

HJ6CZY5.jpg

See it all the way on the right in my GPU column? It doesn't show up under my CPU column. Maybe it glitched its way over there.
It probably got dragged there with a random click. Happens all the time with my clumsy fingers!

In the configure Sensors button (the gear), go to layout tab and click on Restore Original Order. I have to do that from time to time in order to find things I've 'lost'.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
It probably got dragged there with a random click. Happens all the time with my clumsy fingers!

In the configure Sensors button (the gear), go to layout tab and click on Restore Original Order. I have to do that from time to time in order to find things I've 'lost'.
did that and it moved over to under the CPU EDC limit thanks for the tip!

I still don't understand if saying it in red is an issue or not?
It's not a serious issue, but it's informative. Some board manufacturers 'game' the Ryzen boosting algorithm by mis-reporting power the CPU is using to try and eek out a performance advantage. When they do then the power reporting metrics in HWinfo are not going to report with any meaningful accuracy. This reading helps to determine if your motherboard is one that's been 'gamed', but you have to use it correctly.

It's pretty much meaningless in normal workloads. To have it make sense you have to set your processor to full-on stock settings; voltage, clocks, PBO disabled. Then run an extremely heavy all-core workload but something realistic. So something like CineBench 20 or 23, not Prime95. Now check the power reporting deviation, it should be 100% +/- 10%.

If it is then you can basically believe the power reports in HWinfo are somewhat close to accurate. Do keep in mind this isn't instrumented readings, they're inferred readings from CPU performance telemetry. So they're not really accurate under any conditions but helpful to know something about what's going on if you're the curious sort.

There's a usfuel writeup on the HWINfo website forums explaining it, and more about how to use it correctly:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS