Power Supply Advice

JasenSensation

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Hi, this is my first time ever building my own computer and I need some advice about the PSU I currently have and if it is going to be sufficient enough for my build. I built this computer about a month ago and it has been up and running with no problems whatsoever. I'm proud of myself for putting this build together with help from only youtube, forums and guides all over the internet and it working on first boot and every boot since.

Asus Z87-Pro V-Edition MB
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4Ghz CPU
8GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X Low Voltage 1.35v Ram
EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked ACX Edition GPU
| Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB HDD
Wetsern Digital 250GB HDD
***Rosewill 630w Green Series PSU***

So when I originally bought all the components I was planning on getting a video card that required less power(GTX 660), hence only having the 630w PSU. But a few weeks later i found i was able to get the GTX 770. And I was just too excited about it that the question of if my PSU will be good enough flew right over my head, until now. Although the minimum EVGA shows in the manual is a 600 watt PSU for this GPU. Sucky thing is the 30-day return policy is up on it now, that's why I need some opinions.

With everything I have already installed in my system it also includes in my Rosewill Blackhawk Case: 5 led fans, and 3 non-led, a front multi-SD card reader, a wi-fi pcie card, a firewire pcie card, 1 dvd/cd burner, and a couple usb external hard drives, along with mouse/keyboard (just trying to list everything i have so you can determine power usage). And also a program that came with my motherboard, the ASUS AI Suite 3 overclocked my cpu up to 4.6ghz with the 4-way optimization just fine, but I have been only keeping it at a max of 3.8ghz on its preset turbo mode because I'm no expert on this stuff yet. My system has not yet failed or crashed due to insufficient power. But almost everything I have found online so far says that it is just barely enough. I don't want to risk continuing running my computer almost all hours of the day and playing graphically intense games all the time if there is a chance my PSU will fail from not being big enough and fry my brand new components. Some sites make me feel better about it and others say it's not enough. So i need some real opinions/advice.

What should I do? Spending another $100 to $150 on a bigger PSU I am completely fine with doing. Then I'm out $60 for the previous one and stuck with it. But, I'd rather do that though then risk ruining the $1600 worth of components I've already put into it. Thank you in advanced for anyones input.

Solution

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
The minimum 600w has a built in buffer, so i'm picking you will be fine. The overclocking does raise the bar significantly though. No,the worst case scenario it will just reboot mid game.

Now thats all said and done get a better psu 650-750w if you remeined concerned. You may well get some money back by selling your Rosewill as slightly used.

JasenSensation

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Okay thank you, Gee Bee. As far as the overclocking goes I won't be doing too much of it until a gain more knowledge of it. And one more thing I left out is that eventually, maybe in about a year or so, i plan on getting another EVGA GTX 770 card and run SLI which i will definitely want to upgrade my power supply then. So how powerful of a PSU should I look at getting for 2 GPU's? I read on another forum that 850 watts is recommended. Should I aim high to be safe and go with 1000w? or is 850 just right?
And in this case if 630w is sufficient enough for now, I will just stick with it and upgrade when I get another GPU.

DBGT_87

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
That is fine, the GTX 780 which required more power also recommend 600w, and 770 use less power, so you are in the safe side, with 4670k which consume 77w on normal, with OC it will doubled on the worse scenarios.
And as Gee Bee said, your PC will reboot once your PSU can't supply enough power, but with this component of your there is a fat chance to happen.

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Yes sufficient for now (600w recommended min). Your spot on with your sli prediction i'd go 1000w based on manufacturers recommendations(albeit some what inflated) to be rest assured in my rig's potential. I run 280x's (comparable to 770 sli) and HIS's recommendation are 1000w recommended.
At that time you will also want to upgrade to 16gb's ram.

Solution

JasenSensation

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Cool, thanks a bunch for your help! I wasn't sure if i should worry too much or not about it. So thanks for reassuring me. And yes i'll most definitely add more ram as well