[SOLVED] Power supply and GPU coil whine?

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I, i've noticed a large coil whine on my GPU a week ago.

I've limited fps and realized it was gone under 40 which is weid because for what I know GPU coil whine occurs at high fps.

Today i've switched with another GPU and exactly same issue.

The GPU I have now (strix 2080ti) had no coil one in the rig it was into and mine doesn't coil whine in his.

What could it be ? I have a seasonic ultra prime titanium I use cable mod cables
Motherboard is maximus hero XI

I tried to :
Turn On / off Vsync
Put back original cables
reset bios settings.

Nothing worked.

I asked for a replacement of the PSU but could it be something else? I will get the same one and hope it will be fine.. For an high end expensive titanium one that sucks...

here's a video of the issue :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gctewD7j-8s&feature=emb_logo

Thanks

Solution
The model I would suggest is probably pretty close to or nearly the same as the model you have now. I like the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium units, but that probably doesn't help you resolve this issue.

If you want another VERY high end option, then the Corsair AX series units are pretty hard to ignore, but very expensive. Right now, even more so by a long shot due to supply chain issues.

The Corsair HX platinum are good too, but same thing right now.

The EVGA Supernova G3 is pretty good, but not to the same level as the Prime Ultra.

The Thermalfake, er, Thermaltake, Toughpower Grand and Toughpower Grand RGB units always seem to do very well in reviews, unlike pretty much everything else Thermalfake sells.

You should probably just...
Coil whine can happen at ANY load level, not just a high load or a low load. And it can happen to ANY hardware that has a wound part, like a PSU or graphics card.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/sho...rime-titanium-850w-noises&p=142163#post142163

Try the new PSU and if that doesn't solve it then there might be an incompatibility between your PSU and your graphics card. I know there have been a number of Seasonic models that did not play nice with quite a few of the ASUS graphics cards at one point in time.

Yes, that was only meant as a singular example of the very good Prime Ultra units having issues when used with some cards, or in general. As I said, it can happen with ANY "wound" device. If it has windings, it can have coil whine. In fact, it can have some form of electrical noise even without windings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_induced_acoustic_noise

In most cases where noise is present, if it is a high quality component, replacement USUALLY solves the issue, so if you've already filed for a replacement then I'd just wait to see whether that cures the issue or not.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Let's hope then :)

It's a 850 w.

For the rest here it is

Motherboard: Maximus Hero XI
Processor: i9 9900k - 5Ghz all cores
GPU : RTX 2080 ti asus strix oc
Psu Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Platinum
Ram :trident z 3466 - 32gb
Watercooling : Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 - 360
Case : Phanteks Eclipse P600S
NVME : Sabrent SSD 1TB Rocket Nvme
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 - 250Go + Samsung EVO 850 - 500Go
Screen: : LG 34gk950f / 34' / 144HZ
Mouse : Logitech G903 hero
Keyboard : Corsair k70 rapidfire
Headset: ARCTIS PRO WIRELESS
Speakers : Logitech G560

The reason I asked, is because I have an RTX card with a Prime Titanium Ultra 650w unit, and I have never had any such problems with coil whine nor do most who have them. There are many among our veteran members and moderation team using these units and I don't recall anybody having a problem with coil whine on them. Now that I think about it, I think the problem with coil whine and some Strix cards was with the Focus and Focus Plus series.

Even so, like I said, it CAN happen with any device, so the fact that is is a very good PSU does not mean it can't still happen. Stuff happens, all the time. Even to the best of products.

That's a very nice system, so I agree, having coil whine is a real PITA and not acceptable. Are you SURE the noise is coming from the PSU? You could try to narrow it down using a drinking straw or a sheet of paper rolled up and stuck into one ear and then closely pointed at the suspected component to isolate other noises and validate whether that is what is actually causing the noise or not.

Reactions: Maverick127

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
It's seems that it comes from the gpu more than the psu but as I said the gpu I have had no coil whine in another system and the one I had before has no coil whine in this rig - I swapped it with someone I know.
The noise appears above 40 fps which is weird, but maybe the psu is making the gpu coil whine somehow?

It's possible, as I said, there have been some incidences with specific PSU and graphics card combinations, but it seems strange that yours does the same thing with multiple graphics cards when using the same PSU. That obviously leads us to believe the PSU is the cause.

Are you absolutely certain this isn't a result of some kind of AIO pump harmonic happening?

You know, and it's probably just the video's audio quality or whatever because it's ALWAYS hard for US to hear what's going on whenever somebody posts something like this, but to be honest, I don't hear anything particularly unusual there.

I do see that you are using a custom wire set though, and looking back to the original post I missed the fact that you have a cablemod cable set installed.

Do you still have the original wire set that came with the PSU and have you tried that to see if the problem occurs with the original cables installed or not?

Rarely, but once or twice, I've seen a custom wire set cause some coil whine. I don't know why. Maybe because the original wires had inline capacitors and the custom wire set doesn't, or the cable gauge is inferior to the original wires or something.

You shouldn't HAVE to live with coil whine though, IF that's what it is.

I don't suppose you have another system, or know somebody with a system that would allow you to install your power supply and graphics card in their machine (Or an extra machine they have) for the purpose of seeing if this happens when the exact same components are used with a different motherboard? Since you've got the same problem with two different power supplies, although they are the same model (Shouldn't matter, because this is a top shelf power supply and this is not a common problem on these units), and two different graphics cards, and the same graphics card doesn't do it in a different machine, then it might be possible that either the coil whine is actually coming from the motherboard (Or capacitor squeal, which can also happen) or the motherboard PWM controllers are contributing to the problem happening to the graphics card.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
With a headset it's more audible.

I tried with the original cable and no changes at all. Seasonic told me they're gonna send me cable with some ferrites on it...

I've also swapped the motherboard actually

The issues occurs with :

2 different graphics cards (EVGA FTW3 2080ti and Asus Strix 2080ti Oc). The two cards do not make this noise in another config
2 power supplies of the same model (Seasonic Ultra Prime titanium 850w)
2 motherboards of the same model. Asus Maximus Hero XI

What is weird is that the noise occurs at 30FPS +, i've limited FPS to find out it does not occurs only at high fps as i was used to with coil whining GPU.

Do you mean that with a headset on it's more audible, in person, or that when listening to the recording it's more audible? Because I listened to it with a pretty good headset on and couldn't hear anything unusual.

Do you ONLY hear this noise when wearing your headset, or can you hear it even when just standing near to the tower?

Honestly, neither do I. Have you tried a DIFFERENT power supply, that ISN'T the same model? Can you borrow a PSU from somebody or do you have one that you can swap into that case in place of the Seasonic Prime Ultra?

I mean, it just doesn't make sense because you've tried two different prime power supplies, two different motherboards, two different graphics cards, and there really isn't anything else left that COULD be causing this. Maybe it's NOT any of those things. Maybe it is the power SOURCE.

Are you using a power strip OR a UPS battery backup system? If so, eliminate them and try it again.

Is there a different power outlet on the wall somewhere else you can try, in order to eliminate potential issues on that specific circuit?

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I don't have another PSU unfortunately but i'm thiking of asking a refund and take something else.

What model would you suggest?

For the plug, the PC is on a multiple socket I have no choice for it unfortunalely I have too many things to power and there's no way to plug it elsewhere I think :(
Do you think it could come from that?

EDIT : well i tried tu plug the PC on another outlet, same issue !

Last edited:
The model I would suggest is probably pretty close to or nearly the same as the model you have now. I like the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium units, but that probably doesn't help you resolve this issue.

If you want another VERY high end option, then the Corsair AX series units are pretty hard to ignore, but very expensive. Right now, even more so by a long shot due to supply chain issues.

The Corsair HX platinum are good too, but same thing right now.

The EVGA Supernova G3 is pretty good, but not to the same level as the Prime Ultra.

The Thermalfake, er, Thermaltake, Toughpower Grand and Toughpower Grand RGB units always seem to do very well in reviews, unlike pretty much everything else Thermalfake sells.

You should probably just take a look at my guide, here:

And the recently added (By the PSU cultists from LTT, which we are attempting to vet and help them to mold it into something even better, so it's really a work in progress) PSU tier list. There are some things on there that you need to take with a fist sized grain of salt however, but in general it's a somewhat decent assessment of a much broader selection of power supplies.

Solution
AX is generally Flextronics, or has been in the past. I'm not sure who is making them these days. I'll have to look into it, but they are VERY expensive, especially right now.

Edit: Actually, that unit is based on the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium platform. So, not made by Flextronics anymore.

Keep in mind though, just because something is "based on the platform" does not mean they are by any means "the same". The platform is the basic design and layout, as well as the topology and arrangement. The unit could be vastly different in terms of what Corsair has asked to be used in regard to actual COMPONENTS like the mosfets, capacitors, fan, pwm circuitry and board and cabling. Using the same platform makes them similar, but not the same, anymore than a Prime Ultra gold is the same as a Prime ultra titanium.