Question Power supply Buzzing.

Jul 1, 2019
Hey guys. My name is Jason. Don't wanna waste time so I'll get to the point. I've just moved into a new place and after connecting my PC my power supply makes a buzzing noise. I know for a fact it's something to do with the power in the house. I noticed the if I thurn off the dimming light downstairs the Buzzing stops. My power supply only buzzes or kind of like coil whines when the downstairs dimming switch is on. Does anyone know or heard of this problem. I'm worried it will damage my PSU or more. Tia

Regards
Jason

D

Deleted member 14196

You should have an electrician out to look at the place for sure however in the meantime a good quality surge suppressor might help you

Jul 1, 2019
It will likely not do damage as long as u can put up with the buzz.

Possible solutions, and am not giving u any guarantees:

Replace Dimmer.
Plug PC in another circuit, if convenient and available.
Use a power conditioner.

Thank you for the quick response. I will try and get an electrician out to have a look. I have tried all the rooms in the house. Every plug does it if the lounge dimmer is on.

Oh man.. I had this same problem. It's because the dimmer uses a PWM instead of voltage control. It feeds back an audible frequency into the lines that magnetics in components on the same circuit will amplify as audible noise.

If you don't use the dimmer: Get rid of it. Replace it with a normal switch.

If you DO use the dimmer, replace the dimmer switch with a higher quality unit. I've heard simply using lower wattage bulbs on the dimmer switch helps since the FET in the dimmer doesn't have to work as hard.

Jul 1, 2019
Oh man.. I had this same problem. It's because the dimmer uses a PWM instead of voltage control. It feeds back an audible frequency into the lines that magnetics in components on the same circuit will amplify as audible noise.

If you don't use the dimmer: Get rid of it. Replace it with a normal switch.

If you DO use the dimmer, replace the dimmer switch with a higher quality unit. I've heard simply using lower wattage bulbs on the dimmer switch helps since the FET in the dimmer doesn't have to work as hard.

Wow thank you so much. i think i will just replace the switch with a normal one. I really hope that solves the problem. but out of curiosity, would that damage anything in my PC or PSU? Thats my main concern.