[SOLVED] power supply cpu cable doesn't fit

Sep 14, 2021
Hi, I'm building my second computer and usually can figure things out on my own but would appreciate some input on a problem i'm having. I checked all the parts on pcpartpicker before I bought them to see if they are compatible but now I'm not sure if my motherboard and psu go together because the cpu cable it came with doesn't fit into the motherboard. do i need to get a new psu or motherboard or am i missing something? Also, the motherboard is a asrock b550m-itx and the psu is a evga supernova 650 gm. Here are the photos of the motherboard, the psu, and both ends of the cable labeled cpu. thank you.

Solution
the 8pin CPU power connection is universal.
there will be no difference depending on the power supply or the motherboard.

my guess would be that you either have it upside down
or it is a 4+4pin that isn't fit together properly.

provide an image of the 8pin cable labeled "CPU".
and a closeup clear image of the CPU power connection on the motherboard.
the 8pin CPU power connection is universal.
there will be no difference depending on the power supply or the motherboard.

my guess would be that you either have it upside down
or it is a 4+4pin that isn't fit together properly.

provide an image of the 8pin cable labeled "CPU".
and a closeup clear image of the CPU power connection on the motherboard.

Solution
Sep 14, 2021
hi, sorry i added some more pictures and yes the only cable pictured is the one labeled cpu on it and i've included both ends of it. I was able to force it in but they arent the same shapes. i had to fit some octagons into some squares holes is that alright? also, does the cpu cable need to be plugged in for the motherboard to work because when i take it out and press the button on the case it does not start.

Sep 14, 2021
Yeah that's how I put in the cable that way I'm just not sure if it needs to perfectly be the same. If you look at the 2x4 pin end of it and the motherboard it's not the same because you have to put the octagon shapes into squares in some parts, is that OK to do or does it need to be exactly right?

i just saw this same issue with a Suprnova PSU the other day linked from earlier this year.

the 4+4 pin set does not match the 8 pin solid block but the 4+4 pin will still fit evenly because the odd shaped plugs fit easily into the square sockets.
still functions as it should.

if you are having to force them and are causing any noticeable damage to the cable then you may be putting them in upside down.

4e4a196bc065dc1650a472d6984f1e2e2d950bc2.jpeg

Sep 14, 2021
yeah its does fit because the octagon shapes can fit into the sqaures but its still not a perfect match so i think i'll contact evga or new egg and see about getting either a replacement cable or a new psu or ask them if its fine like this. after plugging it in and trying to run the computer it wont turn on although that could be from a couple of other things that ill have to deal with later but thanks everyone for the help.

or ask them if its fine like this.
everyone out there, using this version of PSU at least, is getting by fine this way.
it is designed this way for some reason.
you may be able to purchase a solid 8 pin cable from EVGA but it will make no difference except costing a bit more.

if it's not fitting correctly now it may be because you mauled the cable connectors fitting them in wrong.
there should be a second CPU cable in the packaging you can still use fine.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm still quite worried that you've forced it in the wrong way at one point or reversed the cable before turning it on and fried something. It's damn hard to stuff the square pegs into the hexagons but your connectors are so mangled, like you tried to run them through a blender, that I have no idea what to think now.

Spsgx.png

Sep 14, 2021
it did not come with a second cpu cable so if this cable is too beat up shouldnt i see about getting another one? also, i havent been able to turn it on yet but i know its getting power because its been plugged in and the case light comes on. could it still be fried?

DSzymborski

Titan
it did not come with a second cpu cable so if this cable is too beat up shouldnt i see about getting another one? also, i havent been able to turn it on yet but i know its getting power because its been plugged in and the case light comes on. could it still be fried?

Unfortunately, yes. It's not a binary everything works/everything doesn't work thing.

I'd definitely buy another cable though.