[SOLVED] Power supply electrical noise

Oct 14, 2020
So I plugged my pc into a power surge protector, I turned it on then after that I heard electrical noise like kind of frying noise but not that severe, the GPU didn't light and my pc didn't turn on so I immediately unplugged my pc. Then, I switched to the other outlet and now my pc just works fine.

Is it a power supply problem? or the surge protector?

Will it affect my pc as it's running right now?

I have Cooler Master MWE 550 80+ Bronze v2

Solution
Not the best psu available, it's very mediocre, but I'd say acceptable for its purpose. So I'm doubting there's any issue there, more likely it was the very cheap strip giving the psu fits with erratic power.

A decent UPS is always a good idea, no matter what pc, the stable voltages, spike protections, battery backup and for many the brown-out subsidizing, all combined to protect the pc. Just make sure to get one that's good, there are some cheaper models with lower power and battery life that won't help as much as others.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Surge protectors for the most part are a joke, not to mention a fire hazard. What you get is a plastic box with 3 very small diameter, long strips of some unknown metal, usually whatever is cheap. They are attached to a cheap automotive type toggle breaker.

You entire pc relies on the contact presence between the prongs of the power cord and their contact with those strips. Most cheap store strips don't have full socketed clamps to hold the prongs, just a chunk of plastic pushing the strips to touch the prongs. Heat builds up, creates higher resistance, which forces higher amperage demands, which creates more heat until the plastic melts, the strips soften and warp and then the heat really gets dangerous.

A surge protector strip is only moderately good for one thing. Turning a 2 plug outlet into a 6 plug outlet. They don't stop anything short of a direct lightning strike to your house electrical system from reaching the pc.

You are honestly better off Not using a strip at all, with the exception of the really good, high joule versions like made by Monster Cable and a few others. You know the kind with a guarantee against damages, warrantee to replace etc.

Oct 14, 2020
Surge protectors for the most part are a joke, not to mention a fire hazard. What you get is a plastic box with 3 very small diameter, long strips of some unknown metal, usually whatever is cheap. They are attached to a cheap automotive type toggle breaker.

You entire pc relies on the contact presence between the prongs of the power cord and their contact with those strips. Most cheap store strips don't have full socketed clamps to hold the prongs, just a chunk of plastic pushing the strips to touch the prongs. Heat builds up, creates higher resistance, which forces higher amperage demands, which creates more heat until the plastic melts, the strips soften and warp and then the heat really gets dangerous.

A surge protector strip is only moderately good for one thing. Turning a 2 plug outlet into a 6 plug outlet. They don't stop anything short of a direct lightning strike to your house electrical system from reaching the pc.

You are honestly better off Not using a strip at all, with the exception of the really good, high joule versions like made by Monster Cable and a few others. You know the kind with a guarantee against damages, warrantee to replace etc.

so my psu's okay? or should I replace it and buy a decent UPS?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not the best psu available, it's very mediocre, but I'd say acceptable for its purpose. So I'm doubting there's any issue there, more likely it was the very cheap strip giving the psu fits with erratic power.

A decent UPS is always a good idea, no matter what pc, the stable voltages, spike protections, battery backup and for many the brown-out subsidizing, all combined to protect the pc. Just make sure to get one that's good, there are some cheaper models with lower power and battery life that won't help as much as others.

Solution