zingstars

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
so i have a
r5 1600 6 core
8gb ram 1x8 2666mhz
gtx 1070ti i just got today
and a masterwatt 650 powersupply

im not getting almost any better benchmarks than my freind with a gtx 1660, when i run gpu its doing 120%tdp and running fine 1900mhz/4000mhz
but when i hit my cpu with a artifical load aswell its dropping to 60-90% load is that just cpu being taken away from gpu load (kombuster for gpu/ cpuburner for cpu)
my vrmark scores are lower than his 8400 for me when he with same cpu and a gtx 1660 is getting 8600ish

is this a power draw issue or what am i looking at?

Solution
he has same 1 ram stick as me tho
Ok, so you've BOTH crippled your PC's performance.

Well, he's got you on the cpu. Even though you're both running a single stick - both of you should fix that - the I5-8400:
1)Is faster out of the box than the Ryzen 1600. The only times the 1600(12 threads) will pull ahead is when more than 6 threads are being used, since that's the 8400's maximum.
2)Intel cpus don't have their performance gated behind memory speed like Ryzen. So while they do benefit from faster memory, it isn't to the same extent as Ryzen.

To sum it up: The only thing your friend is behind on is dual channel mode. You're behind by way of both dual channel mode and slow memory. That's why he has the edge over you - except...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's because you took 2 arrows to the knee, by:
1)1 stick of memory is only fine when you're browsing the web, doing Word documents, Windows Media Player, or some other light task.
2)Ryzen prefers faster memory kits. There's a fair chunk 'gated' behind memory speed - some 20-30%, between 3000 and 3600.

zingstars

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
It's because you took 2 arrows to the knee, by:
1)1 stick of memory is only fine when you're browsing the web, doing Word documents, Windows Media Player, or some other light task.
2)Ryzen prefers faster memory kits. There's a fair chunk 'gated' behind memory speed - some 20-30%, between 3000 and 3600.
me and him have the same 1 stick

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
he has same 1 ram stick as me tho

Well, he's got you on the cpu. Even though you're both running a single stick - both of you should fix that - the I5-8400:
1)Is faster out of the box than the Ryzen 1600. The only times the 1600(12 threads) will pull ahead is when more than 6 threads are being used, since that's the 8400's maximum.
2)Intel cpus don't have their performance gated behind memory speed like Ryzen. So while they do benefit from faster memory, it isn't to the same extent as Ryzen.

To sum it up: The only thing your friend is behind on is dual channel mode. You're behind by way of both dual channel mode and slow memory. That's why he has the edge over you - except for when more than 6 cpu threads are being used.

Solution

zingstars

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014

To sum it up: The only thing your friend is behind on is dual channel mode. You're behind by way of both dual channel mode and slow memory. That's why he has the edge over you - except for when more than 6 cpu threads are being used.
so buy a cpu? im sure 2 8gb 3600mhz would be like 80$ but i would still have to buy a motherboard with the i5

zingstars

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014

i see the issue i meant he has same cpu and my SCORE is 8400 while his is 8600 score in vrmark

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Wait, I misread your post!
You both have the same gpu and memory, but I read it as you having a Ryzen 1600, and the friend having an I5-8400, when that was actually a score.
Instead, you both have the exact same cpu/memory/gpu?

Well, is the rest of your hardware the same, part for part? Probably not.
Running the same gpu drivers?
Motherboard drivers?

When you run benchmarks, you want to have as few background processes as possible running.
Vsync off? Other monitor sync off?

zingstars

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Wait, I misread your post!
You both have the same gpu and memory, but I read it as you having a Ryzen 1600, and the friend having an I5-8400, when that was actually a score.
Instead, you both have the exact same cpu/memory/gpu?

Well, is the rest of your hardware the same, part for part? Probably not.
Running the same gpu drivers?
Motherboard drivers?

When you run benchmarks, you want to have as few background processes as possible running.
Vsync off? Other monitor sync off?
pretty much part for part except he has a gtx 1660 and i have a 1070 ti but he beats me in benchmarks
newest drivers and such

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
so i have a
r5 1600 6 core
8gb ram 1x8 2666mhz
gtx 1070ti i just got today
and a masterwatt 650 powersupply

im not getting almost any better benchmarks than my freind with a gtx 1660, when i run gpu its doing 120%tdp and running fine 1900mhz/4000mhz
but when i hit my cpu with a artifical load aswell its dropping to 60-90% load is that just cpu being taken away from gpu load (kombuster for gpu/ cpuburner for cpu)
my vrmark scores are lower than his 8400 for me when he with same cpu and a gtx 1660 is getting 8600ish

is this a power draw issue or what am i looking at?
Dual channel RAM will solve all your issues. And buy both stick in a kit, not separately.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can both of you do a system list here to see if any difference is there that you don't see?

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

Last edited: