[SOLVED] Power supply issues

RyanJG4321

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
Hi guys,
I’ve recently stumbled among the issue with My PC, it’s a tower computer being tall I put it on the floor, which is carpet, I noticed a few hours into the day that I could smell burning.

I thought the power supply was gonna overheat so I pointed a fan to the intake of the airflow and hoped it would stop it from overheating.
However after a few hours the computer turned off and the interior lights flashed after, pressing the power button after this did nothing.

Because it stopped working I thought best thing to do is to clean out the case, I removed all the dust and checked all the fans were working, moved it from the floor on to the desk.

I used the computer for another 4-5 hours till the computer powered off again, pressing the power button now does nothing again.

During the 4-5 hours I was playing games, nothing intensive though.

How do I tell if the power supply is damaged?
With all the filters clear and all the fans working what should I do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
short of adding another unit you cannot. need a spare for testing. sounds to me like one of the rails went out. maybe the 12V.
the corsair CX series is about the cheapest unit I suggest and it has a 5 year warranty, the grey and black models are the ones to get, the older green labeled ones to be avoided completely.
for the CX grey good, green bad
seasonic S12II/M12II in the 20W variants, the 520W and the 620W etc are good with a 5 year warranty, the s12II/M12IIalso have 50W variants like the 550W and 650W units are crap and best avoided.
Seasonic S12II/M12II units x20W good, x50W bad
either of the good models above should do you fine for a while if your budget is tight, the above are the bottom of the list.
what is your part budget...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
specs?
to verify the power supply is the issue, swap it with another unit. do you have access to another computer you could swap and test parts with? another PSU and you will know in a minute if its the PSU or something else.

RyanJG4321

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
Hi guys again, the computer has a bottom mounted psu, the psu itself is a gs700, the case has got feet that raise it enough that air can be transferred though the bottom.

It was a prebuilt PC when I bought it however I’ve added a new graphics card and ssd over time.

The current specs are as follows:
Mai z77a-g43 gaming motherboard
I7-3770K heatsink with fan mounted
Corsair GS700 PSU
Msi GTX 1080
120GB Kingston ssd
2TB HDD
Samsung 750 Evo 500GB
2 x 4GB crucial ballistix

This setup has worked for a long while, it’s struggled but it’s never shut itself off like this.

This morning I hoped it had cooled down so I plugged it back in to find that it would boot, the only signs of life we’re the keyboard getting power for backlighting

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It sounds like it from what you described. Not having hands on physical access we can only guess.

To make sure you have to get a known good working PSU (preferrably a good quality brand new one), as R_1 said above, and check if the system POSTs and OS boots or not.

If not you have to go through the process of elimination to determine which parts work and which ones don't.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
short of adding another unit you cannot. need a spare for testing. sounds to me like one of the rails went out. maybe the 12V.
the corsair CX series is about the cheapest unit I suggest and it has a 5 year warranty, the grey and black models are the ones to get, the older green labeled ones to be avoided completely.
for the CX grey good, green bad
seasonic S12II/M12II in the 20W variants, the 520W and the 620W etc are good with a 5 year warranty, the s12II/M12IIalso have 50W variants like the 550W and 650W units are crap and best avoided.
Seasonic S12II/M12II units x20W good, x50W bad
either of the good models above should do you fine for a while if your budget is tight, the above are the bottom of the list.
what is your part budget? post this and you will get suggestions as to what are tried and true good units

Solution