Power Supply // Motherboard // Processor question regarding a wire that came with power supply.

reedturman

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
Hello, I just purchased a fully modular Power Supply, which replaced a semi-modular one. The wire to power the processor that came with the fully modular PSU is different from the wire I used from the semi modular.

The semi-modular PSU had an 8 pin and 2x 4 pins for the processor, and my motherboard has a slot for a 4 pin and an 8 pin to power the processor. So I plugged an 8 pin in, and a 4 pin in, and was left with one 4 pin remaining.

The fully modular wire for the CPU only has only 8 pin to the 2x 4 pins, and no 8 pin to 8 pin. My question is, how do I properly plug into a motherboard with a 4 pin and 8 pin receiver when I have 2 4 pin male ends??

Old PSU : Thermal Take 875w XT
New PSU : EVGA 850w SuperNova G2
Motherboard : z87x-OC gigabyte
Processor : i7 4770k

Solution
Connectors
1 x 24-Pin ATX
2 x 4+4-Pin EPS12V
4 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E
2 x 6-Pin PCI-E
10 x SATA
4 x 4-Pin Peripheral
1 x Floppy

That PSU has 2X 4+4pins for the CPU and they plug into the power cupply where it says CPU1 and CPU 2.

One cable 4+4 pin to the 8 pin and the other 4+4 pin to the 4 pin leaving the other unconnected just like the old power supply.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Connectors
1 x 24-Pin ATX
2 x 4+4-Pin EPS12V
4 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E
2 x 6-Pin PCI-E
10 x SATA
4 x 4-Pin Peripheral
1 x Floppy

That PSU has 2X 4+4pins for the CPU and they plug into the power cupply where it says CPU1 and CPU 2.

One cable 4+4 pin to the 8 pin and the other 4+4 pin to the 4 pin leaving the other unconnected just like the old power supply.

Solution

reedturman

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
Thank you for the reply both of you. Glad to know what the options are, would mark both for the solution if I could.

I ended up using 1 8 pin on CPU 1 to 2x 4 pin cable without the extra wire, as I am not overclocking at this time.

A new issue has emerged, although far less serious (I hope). My PSU fan is disturbingly loud for being new, it is powering a 1070 TI, but other than that nothing is terribly high end. I've listened to videos of just the PSU turn on and it sounds similar, but mine sounds a little more "clicky" like a processor. When I can upload a video to youtube of the sound I'll create a new thread for the noise. Considering it's a large case with lots of fans, the noise could be being amplified, but the PSU fan definitely seems loudest.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

PSU fan shouldn't be loud. If you are 100% sure its the PSU and loud, then I would exchange it.