power supply needed for these?

MrPopadomz

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I was wondering, WOULD A 500W PSU POWER THESE PARTS PROPERLY UNDER LOAD

AMD FX 6300
8gb 1600 mhz ripjaw ram
Radeon hd 7970

WOULD THIS PSU WORK PROPERly?https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/Non-Modular+650W+or+less/EVGA+500W+80+Plus+Power+Supply+%28100-W1-0500-KR%29+?productId=60504

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is what you are looking at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html this list puts psu's into quality levels. the one i suggested is a tier 1 psu and the evga is a tier 3 unit. it will work for the system but it is not recommended for overclocking or high end gaming cards.

it is up to you i would go with the xfx for a few dollars more but the evga would be "good enough" i won't say it will fail and burn down your house or anything but it may not last as long as the xfx under the conditions you would be using it for.

MrPopadomz

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

sorta on a tight budget and thats all i could afford, so im going to buy it. I guess i can always upgrade on my birthday or something. (only 7 months away)

4745454b

Titan
650W? Not a chance. You are looking at a draw of around 375W. Total. For the system. I'm running my 3570K and 7950 off of a 450W. I'm not sure about the output of the EVGA, but I suspect it's just enough for it. (No OCing any parts of course.)

thetechy

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
AMD CPU's are not that power efficient and FX 6300 power consumption can go upto 100W under heavy load. So, yes, atleast 600W would be recommended as you should not run a PSU on full load all the time. Intel's are quite low on power consumption as compared to AMD's.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i figured it this way. 300w for the gpu since i saw models with usage of 250-300w and i don't know exactly which model he has. i then estimated another 175w for the rest of the system. the 125w cpu plus whatever else to include oc purposes. again a fair estimate and one i normally use in computations.

so that is ~475w of usage. i know it is probably high estimate but not outrageously high.

this is 475w/12v = 39.5 amps draw. to be in the safe 80% usage range this is a minimum of 49.5 amps on the 12v rail. i don't know of any 500w psu that gives ~50 amps on the 12v rail that i have seen. the evga he asked about provides 40 amps which is just barely over the minimum usage computed. it is not wise to run a psu at 100% no matter what make/model it is and especially with a low end evga w1.

so i made my recommendations based on this ~50 amp need. the 600w b1 he came back with (which i was sure would be the next one he hit on) provides 50 amps on the 12v rail. so this is going to be the bare minimum psu but i won't recommend it considering it is lower quality and would be pulling a good amount of its power at load.

the psu's i offered were not based on wattage but rather cost and meeting the minimum need. some are more power than needed but for the price they are the best i could find that fit the needs. limiting yourself to a specific wattage level usually raises the price since you don't see higher power units on sale that may be cheaper and will do the job.

keep in mind efficiencies and such with low quality psu's and it's not so much a matter of "Where does this other 525W come from?" but "where does the 500w the psu is rated at go since it's not to my pc?"

edit: i also understand that you use a 7950 which uses 50-100w less power than the 7970. this will also explain why you are ok with lower watts. these 2 cards don't really compare on power usage like you want it to. i hope i have explained it good enough for you. the math usually helps folks understand where i am coming from when i say what i do :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5476/amd-radeon-7950-review
http://www.hwcompare.com/11578/radeon-hd-7950-3gb-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

here are 2 different articles saying the 7950 is rated at 200w and not 250w as you said. i obviously did not read every single article i saw nor did i look up every card's spec sheet but these do not seem unreliable to me and i could post another dozen articles right off the top of google's search result that say the same thing.

looking closer the 300w i saw were for the 7970 ghz edition and not the stock 7970. i still stand behind what i said and would not suggest trying a cheap 500w psu on that system the op asked about. using your numbers of 425w / 12v = is 35.5 amps and a minimum of 44.3 12v amps from the psu to stay in the safe 80% usage range. that evga still only has 40 amps available. so max draw (by your numbers) is 35.5/40 = ~89%. throw in an oc or anything else and you are overdrawing a cheap psu. i can't stand behind such a recommendation.

the 600w evga b1 that he undoubtedly bought would provide this needed power. it is the lowest wattage for a cheap psu i would go with to account for the inefficiencies it brings with it. the system will be using a bit over 70% of the available (which it won't provide all that it says it will) which is a good safe draw for a lower quality psu.

4745454b

Titan
I didn't realize we were looking at cheap PSUs. I thought EVGA units were good. I'll let you email Jonnyguru and tell him his review of this unit needs to change.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=384

I'm sorry, but you and your kind who try to convince me/others that you need "twice as much" power on your PSU as you'd ever really need will never convince me of that. I was just in another thread where they were talking about an AMD 9xxx CPU and a GTX760 needing a 1kW PSU because that's what AMD said you should have on the page with the 9xxx. There's no way a 225W CPU and a sub 200W GPU will need 1kW. You are looking at a draw of around 500W, so a 600-650W will be fine. If you are looking at 400W+ for a system, you don't need to add 200W+ to make it "safe". Just get a good quality PSU.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
WOW you turned that one around real quick :) if you read around the forum for my posts you will find that i am ALWAYS at the end of the argument against needing such high power for pc's. i spend a lot of time here doing the same math i did for you arguing against these same people you obviously feel (as do i) are out of line. i also argue regularly against those same folks who like to argue that anything but a top tier psu will melt down, burn down you house and maybe even your whole neighborhood.

i argued here that the psu in question does not meet the op's needs and showed the math to back it up. i did not say the psu was junk or that one needed 1000w for this system. all 500w psu's are not the same i can show you a top tier one that would have had the needed 12v amps but this is not that psu. i simply showed why this psu would not work for the needs of the op and offered alternatives at the same etailer he was using. you disagreed with the numbers i used so i showed you where i got the from. i redid the math using your numbers and i still would not recommend using this 500w psu at ~90% as a long term solution when there are better options available in the budget of the op.

again take a look around and realize who is on your side and who is not. had i seen this thread you speak of i would have jumped in real quick and tried to add some reality to the discussion. i know the frustration you feel as i try to shoot down these folks myself (and i am sure i could name a handful of the same regular posters who are out of their mind with psu recommendations that you run into). if you don't agree with what i suggested to the op, show why please and try to keep this thread separate from whatever other threads are out there. we do the op no service by continuing arguments from other threads (that i was not even part of) that do not pertain to his specific issue.

you said you run a similar card on 500w and i showed that the card he has is at least 50w higher power usage than yours. this takes the psu from "would work fine" as you suggest to "not quite strong enough" as i suggest.

i'm pretty sure the op got the 600w evga anyway and moved on which is good enough for the pc and will fill his needs fine. :D

edit: and if you look at that review you posted. they showed that the psu was indeed just above 80% efficient at full load as i assumed. yet another reason this psu would not work at 90%+ capacity in the long run. it is not even that efficient. i am in now way saying you don't know what you are talking about or anything like that. i am simply saying in this case, the op needs a different psu that that 500w evga he asked about.

4745454b

Titan
You said cheap PSU several times.

WOW you turned that one around real quick :) if you read around the forum for my posts you will find that i am ALWAYS at the end of the argument against needing such high power for pc's. i spend a lot of time here doing the same math i did for you arguing against these same people you obviously feel (as do i) are out of line. i also argue regularly against those same folks who like to argue that anything but a top tier psu will melt down, burn down you house and maybe even your whole neighborhood.

Starting to think you just like to argue, so I'm done. Do your math on my setup. I'm pretty sure my 450W unit would fail in your eyes with my setup. Hopefully we didn't lose the OP. Good day sir.