[SOLVED] Power Supply, No Vents at Bottom!

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Okay, so I am in a little bit of a conundrum here.

I need to upgrade my power supply. But when I have my power supply facing up, the plug is being covered by metal in the case.

If I have the power supply facing down, there are no vents at the bottom of my case. Also, my case is on the ground anyway.

Important info:

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 3671. With an i5-9400. I purchased 16 GB of Corsair Vengance RAM at 2666 and I am planning to have a GeForce 1030 video card. I also added 2 SSD's and removed the HDD.

Adding a video card, RAM, and 2 ssd's puts me pretty close to that 290 watt limit, I can buy a dell power supply that provides 360 watts if I need to. But it's only a dell oem one.

I had a 500w power supply lying around, the EVGA 500w model. But again, if I face it upwards the plug is covered by metal. I don't have anything that could cut through metal like that.

If I face it down, it won't get the proper air intake. And honestly, the bottom has metal too, so cutting vent holes doesn't seem like a good option.

And I do not want to go through the hassle of changing cases.

So I need to know my best options.

Options:

1: Keep my 290 watt power supply. Buy the Geforce 1030, because it only only takes 30 watts.

2: Upgrade to a 360 watt power supply. It's only a dell one, and it's expensive ($75) but it will give me more than enough room with the 730 and it will be efficient and my pc will be cool.

3: Use my 500w EVGA power supply and mount it facing down, with no vents below it.

4: Creative option??? Please, don't tell me to return the computer. I've already put a lot of work into it. I wiped the HD, moved windows to an ssd, and my situation is complicated, but I'm not able to return the PC. I just have to work with what I have.

Last edited:
Solution
I had a 500w power supply lying around, the EVGA 500w model. But again, if I face it upwards the plug is covered by metal. I don't have anything that could cut through metal like that.
Can't you get a metal saw? Seems pretty easy fixable problem.

61fD0AncNRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
I should add that an alternative is finding a 400 or 500w power supply that takes air in the rear and expels in the front. I just want something good quality.

Or a power supply that has the plug backwards with the same design (that way it will fit).

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
One , think that even for a gt 1030 that 290watts should be enough.
Two looked at that pc (online) and can't see how that plug is blocked with the fan up regarding the EVGA psu.
This is the back side of you pc is correct,
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/Inspiro...-E5605334-4923-4B3B-9691-5E58E271E670-low.jpg
you mean at nrs 7/8 where it is blocked?

It's the plug that's blocked. If I face the fan up, the plug faces up and the metal from the case interferes with it plugging in.

If I face it down the power supply works fine but there are no vents on the bottom of the computer for it to breathe

Last edited:

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Looked again and the gt 1030 requieres as much power as that gt 730 and a 300watt psu which you kind of have so why not keep using that psu and call it a day?

Here's the thing:

If I had all the time in the world, I would put the old HD in, re install windows, return in a gigantic box. And ship.

Then buy an ebay custom pc with a better motherboard, reinstall the os,

But I have a new job right now and I've already sunk too much time into this.

One thing I'm worried about: I keep hearing that these power supplies are crap. Dell, HP, Lenovo, they stick these proprietary power supplies in, that you can't upgrade, and they are bad quality

I don't want my pc to die in 3 or 4 years. I don't want my power supply to die out and short out other parts. I know enough about desktops to replace parts. I just want my pc to host an OKAY video card. But I want the pc to last. And I just don't have time to do much more.

My 290w power supply is a Liteon power supply. No 80 plus rating. I worry that it is going to ruin my computer 3 years from now. And I worry that adding even a 30w graphics card will cause my computer to get overheated OR cause my power supply to run so inefficiently that my computer will be ruined years from now.

Either that, or that my power supply brand Liteon is so bad that it will ruin my pc 3 years from now.

Those are my worries. If they are silly I'd love for someone to tell me. I don't feel educated enough to make a good decision and honestly I'm stressing about it for no reason.

With all the info provided, do you think my best bet is to keep what I have and put a 1030 in? Should I worry about my power supply efficiency and longevity with a card in?

Or should I pay someone to screw vent holes in the bottom and put a new power supply in (extra $100 or so in costs) or lastly, I can get a 360w power supply from Huntkey, refurbished, a manufacturer everyone says is terrible. But it's the only other proprietary power supply that will work.

Those are my 3 choices. I just don't want to be in this situation 3 years from now. I learned my lesson on picking a pc. I'm just trying to find the quickest easiest solution that should help my pc run efficiently and last a long time

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Why do you want to trade the gt 730 for the gt 1030?
I currently have the intel graphics. 630 HD.

So I have integrated graphics. I do some 1080p video editing. Want something for light gaming and video editing. 1030 takes the same watts but it's a way way better card. The 730 isn't even better than the integrated graphics.

I'm just wanting an option that's good for my pc for a long time. And helps me to video edit.

my options are to put a 730 in my pc with only a 290w power supply(Liteon brand) (no efficiency rating)

Buy a 360w power supply, refurbished, and Huntkey (heard it's a bad brand)

Cut holes in case, buy 500w power supply. And buy something to hold desktop above ground, and buy adapter.

Last edited:

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Why do you want to trade the gt 730 for the gt 1030?

I just realized the mistake in my first post, and I edited it.

Sorry about that...

Yes, I have intel graphics. What I meant to say in my top post, was that one of my options is keeping my current power supply and using a 1030 graphics card with it, since it doesn't use high watts.

I got the 1030 and the 730 mixed up, similar numbers, sorry about that.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Well...

I decided that buying a computer with a terrible no name power supply was a bad idea, especially when the upgrade options were just as bad.

Instead of spinning my wheels trying to mod the case, hope nothing breaks, just to put in a power supply in a bad mother board, I ended up doing the "easy option" to save stress.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...b-hdd-256gb-ssd-black/6402513.p?skuId=6402513

I'm paying $850 here.

Before:
$529 for the PC
$70 RAM
$70 SSD
$150 video card
+$40 labor MINIMUM to get holes cut into computer
= $850

It will take me a couple of hours to get the old HD back into the PC, reinstall windows, and driver updates, then to reset the pc, and then return it.

But at least I will have what I want. The HP model allows you to upgrade the power supply to any normal power supply, and it has all the power I need.

Let me know if this seems like a reasonable option for someone who doesn't want to build a PC! I think this is the quickest thing I can do to solve my problem. I just don't want to build a PC from the ground up right now. But don't mind the SSD swap/ram.

Thanks for all the help!

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
So prebuild again .... what a choice ....
I understand.

Personally I don't see the limitations.

After my research it seemed like plenty of people upgraded the power supply without issue, so it didn't seem proprietary. I suppose its possible it's proprietary, but it just seems to be a better value. And there should be a way to upgrade it. Outside of that I just don't see any limitations that would affect me since I won't get a better video card.

I found out that Liteon doesn't even make my power supply. It is Acbel. Which apparently has a bad reputation. So my choices were Acbel, or refurbished Huntkey. Only proprietary. The Acbel didn't even have an efficiency rating.

Coming out of the box with a Coolmaster seems like an upgrade and considering it comes with a card worth over $200 more. It seems like a good value overall.

And yes compared to building my own I'm guessing I would come out maybe $200 in the hole? Maybe a little more, $300? But as someone who's never built a pc, I will save the time, maybe 3 or 4 hours.

I spent nearly an entire week trying to figure this pc out. And I just started a new job that needs my attention so I needed something practically ready to go out the box. I can sell the other computer's HD and RAM to make up some money and upgrade it quickly

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
It's up to you, those who give advice here tend to build their own and know how easy it can be, Only thing you ned to do is watch some vids if you want to know the how and take your time with it. Read the manual.

Again it's your pc, it's your choice.

I understand.

Personally I don't see the limitations.

After my research it seemed like plenty of people upgraded the power supply without issue, so it didn't seem proprietary. I suppose its possible it's proprietary, but it just seems to be a better value. And there should be a way to upgrade it. Outside of that I just don't see any limitations that would affect me since I won't get a better video card.

I found out that Liteon doesn't even make my power supply. It is Acbel. Which apparently has a bad reputation. So my choices were Acbel, or refurbished Huntkey. Only proprietary. The Acbel didn't even have an efficiency rating.

Coming out of the box with a Coolmaster seems like an upgrade and considering it comes with a card worth over $200 more. It seems like a good value overall.

And yes compared to building my own I'm guessing I would come out maybe $200 in the hole? Maybe a little more, $300? But as someone who's never built a pc, I will save the time, maybe 3 or 4 hours.

I spent nearly an entire week trying to figure this pc out. And I just started a new job that needs my attention so I needed something practically ready to go out the box. I can sell the other computer's HD and RAM to make up some money and upgrade it quickly

There will be limitations, of that you can be sure, that's the nature of prebuilts. But if those limitations are things you'd never concern yourself with, then that system will do you. Only thing is, you might not discover those limitations until later when you want to upgrade something further down the line. That system would be better with 16GB of memory though.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
There will be limitations, of that you can be sure, that's the nature of prebuilts. But if those limitations are things you'd never concern yourself with, then that system will do you. Only thing is, you might not discover those limitations until later when you want to upgrade something further down the line. That system would be better with 16GB of memory though.

Yeah I'm adding 16GB of memory. And a 512 SSD from Sandisk. I prefer to save a few bucks and avoid the heat of an nvme. I'll sell the original memory and the 1 TB HD online. So I'll have 2 SSD's.

For anyone here: It comes with a 500w coolmaster with 80 plus bronze certification...

Coolmasters own power calculator only says I will use 350 at load and it only says I need a 400w power supply.

If this were your PC and you already had a free Coolmaster with a 500w power supply, if you were able, would you spend $100 to replace it? I see an evga gold certified g3 for over $100. Just wondering if it's worth it, or if I can trust the cool master.

I just don't want other components going out.

I'll probably ask in a personal thread with its own question.

Thanks for helping me out!

Last edited:
If this were your PC and you already had a free Coolmaster with a 500w power supply, if you were able, would you spend $100 to replace it? I see an evga gold certified g3 for over $100. Just wondering if it's worth it, or if I can trust the cool master.

Me I'd replace it, only the Coolermaster MWE V2 is the one of theirs I'd trust and even then, not as much as a Corsair, Seasonic or Superflower. And that includes the lowly regarded Corsair and Seasonic models.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Can't you get a metal saw? Seems pretty easy fixable problem.

61fD0AncNRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Your right. I'm just a little bit of a noobie. And doing that would have taken away my chance to return it.

Plus the screw holes didn't line up. So it would be a lot to modify, and by the time I pay someone, add a video card, I realized I would have spent more than the HP