Power Supply - Powering GPU and Case fans

not2smart

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
First things first, I've been posting a bit lately, so some of you may be sick of my questions (sorry). I recently built my first computer and i have a few questions about powering the Graphics Card and Case fans.
1. Is there a way to power the case fans from the Power Supply
2. I'm using a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB GPU. My friend who helped me put my computer together said to use two PCI-E cables to the GPU instead of one because he didn't think one cable would be enough to power it (GPU needs an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector). Is this extra cable necessary or was he right about the GPU needing the extra cable (it doesn't seem logical to me that more cables = more power).

PSU - Antec high Current gamer 750w semi-modular

Solution
Hi, The case fans should be connected to your motherboard and only can connect to your motherboard. The GPU need's an 8 pin and 6 pin its necessary for the card to receive the amount of power it needs.
Hope this answered your questions

baesy

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hi, The case fans should be connected to your motherboard and only can connect to your motherboard. The GPU need's an 8 pin and 6 pin its necessary for the card to receive the amount of power it needs.
Hope this answered your questions

Solution

not2smart

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

That answers my questions :) With the GPU i didn't think to check the cable before posting, i thought it had two 6+2 pin connectors on the one cable, but it doesn't. So that question was pointless and, i suspect, not phrased very well, as i thought a single PCI-e cable would have enough connector pins to power the GPU.