Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You could, but then you'd be arguing with the detailed part under Corsair, which already exists anyway. I'm basically looking to do a quick summary of what the detailed explanation gives you, for those who might not want to wade through as much text and the technical reasons why something is good or bad.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You could, but then you'd be arguing with the detailed part under Corsair, which already exists anyway. I'm basically looking to do a quick summary of what the detailed explanation gives you, for those who might not want to wade through as much text and the technical reasons why something is good or bad.

What you're describing (with your example in your prior post) is the Tier list, sorted differently.

We need to let this one go.

Looking at that, it is simply a PER BRAND tier list, and while that is certainly something that could be done, and to some degree I do that, it's not done in as structured a manner or as extensively. I think, for me anyhow, the minute you get too much structure, you attract the kind of attention you don't want. The minute you try to get too much structure, you incur the sort of hours and hours of time investment that "I" don't want. LOL.

Reactions: King_V
Feb 12, 2020
Dont buy PSUS from COOLERMASTER they are a fan and heatsink company at the most. If you buy anything expensive or critical for your pc prepare for bad customer support bad RMA unusable software!!!Stay away

IIRC i have seen reviews of cm psus with mispelling on the packaging.

If a company does not care enough to hire a competant translator and spell check, do you think they really put much care into the insides of the psu?

Now yea, this is littered with misspellings, but im not paid for this, nor do i design psus.

DONT BUY PSUS FROM COOLERMASTER THEY ARE A FAN AND COOLER COMPANY AT THE MOST. IF YOU BUY ANYTHING EXPENSIVE PREPARE FOR BAD CUSTOMER SUPPORT BAD RMA UNUSABLE SOFWARE!!!! STAY AWAY THEY REBRAND PSUS AND SELLING THEM DOUBLE THE PRICE

And how is it that you are qualified to say anything about what Cooler master IS or IS NOT, when you didn't even know that none of their units were not made by Super Flower? I guess you just like to go around ranting in all caps about things you are actually clueless about?

Reactions: SAINT.LUPIN
Feb 12, 2020
And how is it that you are qualified to say anything about what Cooler master IS or IS NOT, when you didn't even know that none of their units were not made by Super Flower? I guess you just like to go around ranting in all caps about things you are actually clueless about?

Excuse my capitalization but I had just read an answer to a ticket I have left for more than a month at coolermaster customer support to answer and I was infuriated.
For the last two years I have had trouble first hand with my MASTERWATT 1200 psu. The unit is noisy and fan is by default always on. Even if you are lucky enough to find the CM connect software, you find yourselp with a pile of poorly coded xml garbage with proprietary dlls. In short you cannot save profiles or a custom fan curve and the most you can get from the application is monitoring your consumption and fan speed...Oh the Irony.... So my 2500$ workstation with a 450$ PSU sounds like my 1998 pc. Unless I set everything up IN EVERY RESTART... Or after sleep or whenever it randomly resets... for instance during a recording session. Right.

Please evaluate their reply to my message explaining that I am an audio engineer and I cant keep your psu silent so I can work.
..... our revised masterwatt plus series has new software and it works!!! sorry for the inconvenience do you want a mouse or a couple of fans as a compensation. I will gladly post the whole conversation if they give me more of this nonsense.

I am sorry for spreading misinformation about Flowerpower. The vendor that sold me the psu gave me incorrect info. I have to thank a member of the forum for pointing out yesterday that the 80+titanium series are made by Enhance Electronics. thanks again

Perhaps you should have done your homework BEFORE you purchased a 450 dollar power supply, not after. Because if you HAD, you'd have found a lot of agreement that among the more well known "brands", there isn't a lot of favor for Cooler Master or Thermaltake at the top of the product stack due to their being better, and cheaper options from other companies like Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, Silverstone and depending on where you live, Super Flower. Even potentially Rosewill for that matter, with their Capstone M units.

Even the fact that the unit in question is made by Enhance isn't necessarily a direct reflection on Enhance. Manufacturers often build to whatever specifications the brand wants a unit built TO, so if they want a unit built cheap or if they want corners cut, that's what they get. Not that Enhance is one of the best manufacturers out there but they have both good and bad platforms as well, just like pretty much everybody.

4745454b

Titan
I used google translate on my phone and pointed it at my monitor. Odd way to read something.

So it's made by HEC, same people who did the VS model. VS is 80+ white, and this is 80+ bronze. So it sounds like it's an updated VS model and not CX related at all. What's odd is they already have a good 80+ bronze model, the CX, so I'm not sure where this is supposed to sit in the product stack. (I'm also surprised. I thought the VS was an 80+ gold unit that was based on ancient designs? What was Corsairs bad 80+ gold unit?)

bignastyid

Titan
I used google translate on my phone and pointed it at my monitor. Odd way to read something.

So it's made by HEC, same people who did the VS model. VS is 80+ white, and this is 80+ bronze. So it sounds like it's an updated VS model and not CX related at all. What's odd is they already have a good 80+ bronze model, the CX, so I'm not sure where this is supposed to sit in the product stack. (I'm also surprised. I thought the VS was an 80+ gold unit that was based on ancient designs? What was Corsairs bad 80+ gold unit?)
Maybe following EVGA's lead of flooding the market with a bunch of nearly redundant models.

Reminds me of an EVGA BT since its an entry-level 80+ Bronze model based on an HEC platform.

Pricing seems fair, although I would prefer it to not be entirely group regulated.

It comes it at similar to VS pricing, so the added efficiency is welcome.

$55 for 550w.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0838YKLCS?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&pldnSite=1

Depending on its availability in foreign regions, it may be a good choice for some

You know chrome for desktop has translate built-in and will translate entire webpages correct?

I don't know of a terrible Corsair 80+ gold. The GS were decent for their time at least.

4745454b

Titan
FF user. I only Chrome on my phone.

I thought for sure they had a 80+ gold that was only barely gold. It was group regulated and had a high ripple among other issues. I thought it was the VS. I'll have to update myself and remember VS is white.

I don't know why some places are calling basic 80plus "white" now. It's always JUST been "80plus" or "80plus vanilla". I guess they decided it needed an adjective.

The original VS series was NOT 80plus certified, in any way, so far as I recall. Not the orange label units. I don't see any mention of 80plus certification on the packaging or specifications, nor is it mentioned in any reference anywhere.

The newer gray and black label revisions, are 80plus white.

The closest thing to a problematic Corsair Gold PSU that I've seen was the 2014 version of the RM850 that used Ltec capacitors. Possibly other capacity models in that series as well, IDK. The unit still scored well on performance but there have been a lot of those that didn't last much beyond the warranty if they even made it that long. I recall there being flurries of failures on those non-x and non-i RM units from that revision period. But they were still pretty good units, just not the greatest capacitor selection.