Power Supply Question

Arkanix

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Alright, so the short version of my question is, will an EVGA 500w 80+ bronze power supply, be enough to run a sapphire r9 270x and an amd Athlon x4 860k.

I am looking for a new processor, my current one is an A6-6400k, I'm looking to upgrade this to the quad core x4 860k, my current power supply isn't going to cut it. My current pc specs are as follows:
Processor: AMD A6-6400k clocked at 3.9 with the stock cooler
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 270x /w 4gigs of vram
HDD: It's 1 terabyte idk the speed (Didn't originally build this computer)
Mother Board: Asus a55BM-E
RAM: Kingston Fury HyperX 8gb x1
PSU: PoS that is going to be replaced by something and then likely destroyed in the fiery pits of hell, or the fiery pits of some waste disposal plant.
I do have a dvd... thing, it says dvd+r DL on it, pretty sure it's just a dvd player, idk if it's a dvd writer. Also I have 2 fans on my system, a 120mm in the front and a smaller one in the back, along with stock cpu cooler.

What I plan to upgrade to the Athlon x4 860k, and need a new power supply, so with the processor swapped out would an EVGA 80+ bronze 500w PSU power the system?

The EVGA 500B would technically be enough, though it isn't a particularly good unit.

Article on why to avoid the EVGA 500B if you can: http://www.overclock.net/t/1500086/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-400-430-500-600-500b-600b

After the $35 rebate this PSU comes to $40, making it one of the best performance per dollar buys on the market at this time. If you can afford the upfront cost, it is very much worth it and would be enough to reliably upgrade around for quite some time:

Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $39.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 08:32 EST-0500

If you can afford the $50 price range and don't want to worry about such a large rebate for the XFX, this PSU would also be a very good choice:

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.60 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $47.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 08:37 EST-0500

*If your budget is REALLY tight, then the EVGA 500B would work, but if you could manage to get the better models above it would pay off in the long run.

Arkanix

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Well, I am on a budget but an extra 5-6 bucks won't kill me as bad as an extra 40 would to get yet another PSU, if I got a 600w model of the same that would do a lot better long term?

The 600W EVGA is included in the article I linked above. It's not just the wattage range that's important in a PSU, but the reliable power over the 12v rails (main cables) and quailty of internal components used like capacitors.

If you could possibly manage to get the SeaSonic I linked you would have a rock-solid PSU with plenty of power for any single video-card rig.

Arkanix

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Would I still be able to continue upgrading without having to worry about my PSU with the seasonic? say I wanted to upgrade further, maybe an SSD, or different GPU, would I still need to worry about power?

As long as you are only using 1 graphics card the Seasonic would provide all the power you needed for upgrading. It's a fantastic unit.

*Note, the Seasoinc has 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin PCIe connectors. You won't be able to upgrade to graphics cards that require two 8-pin power connections. This really only applies to cards like the GTX 980ti and a few more obsure AMD power hungry cards, but it is worth knowing for the future.

Arkanix

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

awesome, thank you so much for such a quick response time =)