Power supply replacement

smartwind

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
I had a question earlier about an issue with my power supply, and my question was answered along with a lot of great advice on what types of power supplies to buy. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the computer I've got has that much leeway - I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to find an exact replacement.

The computer is a prebuilt one from Hewlett-Packard - the kind you buy at Wal-Mart or an office store. I looked up the hardware support on the website for the parts guide, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Computer details:
HP Pavilion Desktop
Model #: a6600f
Product #: FK792AA-ABA
Serial #: CNX8362Z7B

Power supply details:
ePowerTechnology
Model #: EP-600PM
Product# / Serial #??: A1101212PS01833

approximate dimensions:
5 15/16" x 3 5/16" x 5 1/2"

Lots of cables, but the only ones in use are 24-pin motherboard cable, 4-pin CPU cable, and 2 Sata power cables with multiple sockets on them.

If you can help find the exact power supply online or one that would fit, please give me a link or the directions I need to follow to find that information.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Its an ATX 12V mate which is just about any PC PSU on the market :)

Unless you have upgraded anything a 600Watt or 650Watt replacement would do fine. Ill let others with more know how on brand and reputation give you a tip on which model to prefer over another.

If you're not planning to upgrade that system(it's not worth since the platform is so old), than something like a Corsair CX 450 should be more than enough. The total power draw of the system is under 200W so it's not worth going with an expensive 650W PSU.
Like the others said... you can fit any standard ATX PSU in there.

smartwind

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
Thank you for helping me out - in my experience the prebuilt computers can be unfriendly on part replacement. I tried to pull a PSU out of an older computer, but it didn't have the right dimensions.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
No problem, just make sure that when you do swap in the new PSU that you remove all the old cables and use the new cables that come with the new PSU (power and sata). For some people that's common sense, for others it's a new computer :)

smartwind

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

Wait, what's wrong with the old sata cables?

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Nothing in particular but i did have one PSU switch myself where none of the SSD's or HDD's were recognized after putting in the new PSU until i switched to new SATA cables. It was a bit of a catchall but if it's going to proce problematic foryou you can leave the SATA cables in (its not a risk to your system) but if they are not recognised switch out to the new SATA cables.

smartwind

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

Okay, had me worried for a bit.